System preferences gone...

badbadtz

Registered
I accidentally deleted the system preferences application and now i cant get it back no matter what i try!

When another application trys to open a particular part of the system preferences it just goes to a finder window with folders in! Help I don't know what to do, and there were some useful things in there!

I tried reinstalling from the OS X cd but it said a new version was on my computer so I couldn't! Help please!! :confused:

What version of X are you running? And how the hell did you delete your System Preferences application?

If you are running under 10.2.5, try updating to that. If you can't or won't, either stick it out for Panther or reinstall 10.2 and upgrade it to whatever you have it at now.

I bet someone may be generous enough to send you the file(s) you need based on the version of X you have. Let us know so we can help you fully.

I was running 10.2.4 but I just tried installing 10.2.5 and it made no difference!

I deleted it by accident, what happened was one day I accidentally slipped somehow and moved the application to another folder without realising. Then a few days later, I came accross the application in a folder and I thought it was just an alias I had created by accident. When i emptied my recycle bin, it just took it straight away!

The System Preferences folder is still there and if, for example, I ctrl-click on the desktop to change the desktop background picture, finder brings up the folder: DesktopPictures.prefPane but I don't know what to do with that!

Thanks for your help

badbadtz,
Did you ever fix your problem? I just did the same thing myself last night and don't know the best way get System Preferences back.

Here is a 10.2.6 System Prefs.

Attachments

• system preferences.app.zip
    94.4 KB · Views: 133
You could also search MacUpdate or VersionTracker for Pacifist, which will allow you to install individual files from .pkg installers. Has come in handy more than once.

So where's badbadtz? This is the only thing he ever posted, he should at least respond.

Ok, i lost my password prefs after i reinstalled my system after wiping the main X partition. So where do the passwords go? I thought I saved everything, I did it before and i managed to keep my passwords, I have no idea what i did.

i changed my user account short name, does that matter? I don't want to rename the older backup and crash the system or some unknown waiting problem

I don't think the name of the keychain matters, but I think that if you changed it to you currecn short username, things should work ok...

I guess i need to boot into 9 to swap the file, since it's in use. This really seemed easier before, not sure what I'm doing so different from all those other times. I can't complain, reinstalled the whole system and this is the only problem that i know of, and the partition is about 1 gig less in size.

command line i don't know, i guess i should take the time to learn it, but I have yet to do so, I'll boot into 9, I need to restart after a install anyway

Back