System Prefs: click "Display" and it crashes

Tinpusher

Registered
OSX10.2.8, Dual Screens (Apple Flat Panel).

Having a bit of a wierd problem, which started about a week ago. I can't recall what I did that might have made "displays" unstable.

Everything else on System Prefs works fine.

When I click on "Displays", I get "The Application System Preferences has unexpectedly crashed. Nothing else has been affected".

What could be causing this? and how can I fix it?

I am beginning to wonder if my dual screen setup is set up correctly.

Tinpusher said:
OSX10.2.8, Dual Screens (Apple Flat Panel).

Having a bit of a wierd problem, which started about a week ago. I can't recall what I did that might have made "displays" unstable.

Everything else on System Prefs works fine.

When I click on "Displays", I get "The Application System Preferences has unexpectedly crashed. Nothing else has been affected".

What could be causing this? and how can I fix it?

I am beginning to wonder if my dual screen setup is set up correctly.

Create a different user account. If it doesn't crash, it's probably corrupt preferences.

OK... I tried creating another user account, but System Preferences crashed whilst I was doing it. I had to "Force Quit" it.

I then restarted System Prefs and double clicked "User Accounts". It froze on the "Loading Users" screen. Again, I force quit it and then clicked into Finder and "log out".

I was duly logged out, but was faced with one screen displaying the normal desktop (Aqua), and the other screen plain blue (not normally my background on that screen). I left it 2-3 mins, and nothing happened. So I pressed the power button until the computer shut down.

I restarted the computer and was faced with the same two screens- and no login options, no finder windows... nothing. Oh dear....

Back