System problem

ascaoreon

Registered
Well, I was downloading something off of LimeWire last night, and all of a sudden, my system froze. LimeWire usually crashes, so I thought nothing on it. I simply force-restarted and waited for it to go through ScanDisk. After it loaded, and the Desktop came up, it froze yet again, so I force-restarted again. The same thing happened two other times. I then force-restarted and then held down Shift so it would load with the extentions off. It loaded fine. I then restarted it, and after the Finder loaded, the screen flickered and I got a message saying that the Finder had unexpectedly quit. Not wanting to go through the whole startup process again, I just continued on with what I wanted to do. I left it on all night like I usually do, and turned it off this morning when I went to school. When I started it up after I got home, the same thing happened. I'm not sure what's going on. I ran Virex a few times to see if there were any virusses, but about halfway through, it stopped, saying that there was not enough memory to continue. I just wanted to know, Do you know what's going on? and Is there a way I can fix it without resetting the whole system?

For the record, I have not upgraded to any version of OS X yet. I'm still running 9.2.2

I had the same thing happen with OS X and limewire. Try to stay away from limewire, it hoses many people's drives (including mine). It may not have damaged your drive, its sounds like it might have corrupted an extension or two. I'm not that great with OS 9 (anymore), so I'll let someone else guide you through the processes...

Yeah, it has to be an extention problem because when I start up with the Extentions off, it loads, then I just have to restart and it works, aside from the fact that the Finder unexpectedly quits. The latest thing I installed was Toast Titanium. I was also downloadting Roxio Jam off of LimeWire when it froze.

Hi

It is an extension problem. Go in and set your extensions to base, restart then and a few more extensions to the base, restart, continue to do this until you find the one causing the problem. If you have Norton's Disk Doctor it would be good to run this also, you may have parts of what was downloading in the system that is causing problems and Norton's can find it.

Sharon

You need to clean up that System folder. If you have Norton Utilities, boot up with that CD. Before you run the Disk Doctor, open the hard drive>system folder> Preferences. Trash
Finder Preferences
General Controls Prefs
Mac OS Preferences
System Preferences

Then locate any Limewire file and trash that also.

Now open extension folder and look for Limewire files and trash them. Check the system folder for any Limewire files/folders and trash them. Now close the windows, empty the trash, then run the Disk Doctor. Let it fix any problem it finds. When done, restart the computer and see if the problem is corrected.

No, I don't have Norton Utilities or any Norton product. I guess I was a little too cocky and never felt the need for it. The only thing I have is Virex.

Wouldn't trashing the System, Finder, and General Controls preferences mess up the system? Wait... If you told me to do it then I guess it wouldn't... Well, I'll try that, thanks.

[EDIT] I think the problem is fixed... I deleted all of my LimeWire preferences and then left my computer on for the rest of the day because it crashes if I put it to Sleep. About 10 minutes ago, Software Update launched, and it froze, but after I restarted, the Finder didn't crash upon startup like it used to... I'll check it out tomorrow morning, after I shut it down for the night.

Back