system takes a really long time to boot

Propeller

Registered
Hello, i'm running 10.3.7 on a G5 and my system takes a really long time to boot these days. It just started happening recently. If anyone has any suggestions as to what i can do to fix the problem please do let me know.

Thanks,
Rob

I would do the following rather complete set of basic maintenance/troubleshooting tasks.

1. Empty the trash, and clear all browser caches;
2. Repair disk and repair permissions (go here);
3. Run the 3 periodic maintenance (cron) scripts (see above link);
4. Update the prebinding (see above link);
5. Use a program, such as Cocktail, to clear the system- and user-cache files;
6. Use a program, such as Font Finagler, to purge font-cache files; and
7. Use Preferential Treatment to find corrupt preference files.

You might also want to look at performing a Software Update to something greater than 10.3.7. As for 10.3.9, i'm not sure if it's stable enough, but some people have installed it without problems.

Propeller said:
Thanks guys i'll give it a shot and see if my system snaps back to its old self.
You are very welcome. I would not do any kind of update over an improperly functioning system. If I could not get the system working, then I would do an erase and install. If you end up starting over, then consider moving to Tiger. You might as well have the latest and greatest. Tiger works well for most. And, generally, the somewhat frequently encountered Tiger ills can be cured/worked around. If you decide to move to Tiger, post again and ask about what you should look out for.

Also check Login Items under System Preferences>Accounts>Login Items (tab) to see what exactly is being run at startup.

Doug

Back