SystemUIServer & configd

darcy

Registered
I have been having strange problems with my iBook (620RAM - 500Mhz) everyday when I come into work around 10am. The SystemUIServer and configd cpu usage go through the roof. I have seen "top" say that configd was using 125% of my CPU.... :rolleyes:

The computer becomes completely unsuable during this time. this thread seems to be close the same problem, but renicing the processes was the only conclusion that thread came to....

I have only been experiencing this for the last2 weeks or so, but I reinstalled/reformatted the OS (10.2.4) this week and am still having the problem.

I have no Menu Extras besides iChat, Airport, Battery, iSync and clock.

Classic is not installed.

iPulse detects no network activity and shows no memory paging.

No microsoft apps are installed. :D

Nothing to speak of really in the system.log that I know of, but I attached the log that goes back to a system restart (short) if anyone wants to take a look.

The problem does go away eventually it seems, but it is inconsistent. System restarts don't help, neither does restarting the processes. After a while it just "calms down". Now that I think about it, it may have something to do with my mood, cause I can be pissy when I come in to work in the morning.

Can anyone explain what exactly configd and SystemUIServer are? I know that SystemUIServer controls part of the menu bar, but that is about all I know of these processes. If someone could explain these, I may have better luck figuring it out.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• system.log.txt
    7.7 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for your reply!

I do have a Firewire smartdisk, but I don't have it connected to the iBook at that time. I have tried turning off the Airport and removing all the system menu items (to the best of my ability). In general, iChat isn't on, iSync seems to be resting, Network Time Server is off, nothing out of the ordinary.

Usually, I do hook up the firewire drive later in the day. I never can tell exactly when the computer seems to "relax" again, as its not my primary machine there (not paying that much attention), but it is also later in the day.

Usually exponential CPU usage is attributable to FireWire devices -- support for which is very buggy under OS X 10.2-10.2.4. Does your iBook have two FireWire ports? If so, try using the other port and see if you get the same behavior. If you have a FireWire hub, try disconnecting it and see if the behavior changes.

Interesting.

I haven't had problems with the FireWire drive in the past, and I don't have it hooked up to the iBook when the problems occurs. No firewire hubs, and only the single port.

When the problem occurs, I have had my machine without any connections, no power cord, no speakers/headphones, no ethernet, no usb, no firewire, nothing but the ibook. Even Airport turned off. Problem occurs.

The interesting thing is that today I worked from home, and the issue did not happen. This would lead one to believe it had to do with the Location Manager and Apple's Auto-detection of net services. Possibly trying to look for rendezvous printers or something.

Any insight on what configd does?

configd is the System Configuration Sever - what it does, I dunno, but if you try to run it again while it's running it tells you:

configd: 'System Configuration Server' server already active

Try repairing permissions with Disk Utility in /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. That has fixed many slowdown bugs in Jaguar before.

Back