Tabbing in Safari

egon

Bounder of Adventure
Can anyone answer this question?

When I am using a browser, such as Firefox, or even, heaven forbid, IE, I often tab through text fields and buttons in a form. I am so used to this, as I work on a PC at work. From a usability point of view, this makes perfect sense. If one is tabbing through a form, a button is an element to tab through, and would be consistent from a usability perspective. However, at home, I use my beloved G5. When using either Safari or Firefox, I can certainly tab through text fields, but NOT through buttons. I have to take the extra step of using my mouse to click on the button instead of hitting 'tab' and then 'return', which is much faster.

Is there a reason for this? Or is it along the same lines as Apple's curious lack of commitment to release a two-button mouse? This isn't exactly rocket science, and would think it should be very easy to implement.

Just curious...

In preferences you can select whether to also tab through links. But I guess that's not exactly what you mean.

verlorenengel said:
System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Full Keyboard access - All Controls *tick*

This doesnt really work everywhere though. For example, check this checkbox, then /apple/Shut Down...

Tab does nothing on that dialog

i've also seen this problem, but ignored it - it irritating tough, to fill out a form almost entirely on keyboard, then having to move the mouse to fill in a list menu button...

verlorenengel said:
System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Full Keyboard access - All Controls *tick*
That does nothing for web forms
pepejeria said:
This doesnt really work everywhere though. For example, check this checkbox, then /apple/Shut Down...

Tab does nothing on that dialog
Works here.

What the OP is looking for is: Safari -> Preferences -> Advanced -- Press Tab to highlight each item on a webpage.
When you get to a drop-down menu either hit the Space bar or type the first few characters of the item you want in the drop-down...

I am on Tiger, but this worked for me in Panther as well I believe... though, I never shut my system down that way so I can't be certain.

Hi again,

Perhaps to clarify, I'm talking about HTML elements. If I am in a form, and there are, say, 4 input fields (ie. text) and a submit button. I can 'tab' through the 4 input fields, without having to use my mouse. But when trying to tab to the submit button, the next element in the form, Safari or FF (any mac browser) will not tab to that. It will either go back to the first input field or somewhere else.

Any reason for this?

cybergoober said:
I am on Tiger, but this worked for me in Panther as well I believe... though, I never shut my system down that way so I can't be certain.

Well, then it sounds like it works fine on Tiger. Good. :)

Hm, ok. I unchecked the "Turn on full keyboard access" and then rechecked it. Now it also works fine in the everywhere. Weird.
Anyway, me happy now. Thanks for the help.

yes. everything.

Attachments

• Picture 1.pdf
    5 KB · Views: 3
  • Picture 2.pdf
    7 KB · Views: 2
  • Picture 3.pdf
    6.9 KB · Views: 2
But was this by default, or did you have to go into settings to change it to work that way? If so, can you say exactly how you did it? The same way as listed above?

Randman said:
Why would anyone use IE these days?
There are times when you have to use the dreaded IE.
These are due to sites that have been created with a Microsoft product (such as Front Page). These programs create sites with broken code that only IE reads properly.
(Yet another attempt for Microsoft to control the world....).

It is a pity, but yes, there are people out there that still create sites that only read in IE. They should be shot for ignorance, but such is life.

um. i didn't have to edit anything in the terminal if that's what you mean. i turned on full-keyboard access..

Attachments

• Picture 1.pdf
    7.5 KB · Views: 9
Back