Tablets for a non art guy...

HateEternal

Mac Metal Head
I'm not an artist by any means, but I do end up GIMP/Photoshop once and a while when I am working web stuff. I have been playing around with the idea of getting a cheaper Wacom tablet, something like a graphire4 just because sometimes I get really annoyed with my mouse when I am trying to make small movments or draw something and presure sensitivity would be nice when doing shading and touchups.

So here is my question, for someone who probably spends less than 2 hours in photoshop a week and has no real artisitc ability would a tablet be worth it?

Will the graphire give me greater precision?

Also does any one know how well they integrate with GIMP?

A Graphire takes practice to use, though for small movements and detail work, they're ideal.

If you want pressure sensitivity, you realistically *need* a WACOM. I had a non-Wacom which purported to have 1024 levels of sensitivity. Needless to say, it didn't.

I've also owned both a non-Wacom and a Wacom tablet. There is a very clear reason why Wacom more or less rules this niche ... its the only one that works reliably. My Wacom is an Intuos II. If you're not using it much, even a small Graphire will be a really nice bit of kit that will make a lot of your PhotoShop and Gimp work a lot easier and quicker.

Be warned though that the learning curve is a little steep. You'll need to use it for at least 5-10 hours before you feel confident with it, but it is worth the effort.

Don't be tempted to buy a large tablet (as I did). They have their uses but most of us need to make relatively small hand movements PLUS it can be tiring to have to swipe across a large area to get to the bit you need on screen.

kabeach2001

Back