Take 2 .. iBook dies .. new MacBook hangs..

Kundun

Registered
apologies.. didnt mean to close last thread!!!

Hello Mac users,
I am devasted to write to you under such circumstances.. my iBook G4 (2 years old) died recently. I was browsing, and suddenly she froze!! I rebooted and guess what?? She declined!! GREEN SCREEN, BLUE SCREEN, RED SCREEN, GREY SCREEN, BLACK SCREEN...

I took her to the hospital, and the doctors told me i needed a new logic board which was almost just as expensive as purchasing a new MacBook.. so, i did, and i had my hard drive copied to the new MacBook.. i just accepted her death - nobody to write to - nobody really cared - just 2 years old!!

Anyway, i have now purchased this new MacBook (intel processor) and i have noticed that this 'so called' faster machine hangs often.. whether i'm simply surfing with Safari, or loading WORD, she hangs... and hangs...

I've wondered whether it's the memory (512MB) but i think i have sufficient memory for what i am doing.. WHY DO YOU THINK THIS HAPPENS? DO YOU THINK IT'S BECAUSE I SIMPLY HAD A DISC IMAGE COPIED TO THE NEW MACHINE? SOMEBODY SUGGESTED I COPY ALL MY DATA AND RE-INSTALL THE O/S.. IS THIS SOUND ADVICE?

Need some help please.. also, if i was to re-install the O/S, is it just a matter of copying all my data elsewhere (I still have the hard drive from the iBook), and erasing the currrent hard drive? How does this work? Is there a way i can re-install??

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE.. apologies that this is quite lengthy, i just thought i'd set the scene for you... ps.. i still have iBook parts which i wonder what i will do with!!

Kundun,

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

I can think of a couple things to try:

First, 512 MB is not really enough for Intel OS X because chances are very good some of your software is emulated (Rosetta, the PowerPC emulation software in OS X). I've always had good fortune with memory from www.memorytogo.com Of course, there are other good memory websites. Buy as much as you can afford. I recently bought a MacBook Pro with 512 MB. Not enough!

Second, did you use the Migration Assistant to move your data over to your new machine? I think that may be a mistake. I used it to move stuff from my iBook to my new MacBook Pro. I don't know for sure this was the problem, but I read a post by someone who experienced similar issues of sluggishness and spinning beach balls of death. after using Migration Assistant to move data and settings from a PowerPC machine to an Intel Mac.

In this case, it might help to erase your hard drive and re-install.

To do so:

1. BACK UP your data if it isn't already.
2. Put in your system DVD that came with your MacBook.
3. Restart your MacBook while holding down 'C' to boot from CD (actually DVD in this case).
4. Select the option of erasing and installing.
5. Copy over your data, including pictures, music, documents, etc.

Hopefully that will help. Expect Microsoft Office to run somewhat slower than you'd expect because it's running under Rosetta, the PowerPC emulator. If you don't have Firefox, get it from www.getfirefox.com and install it. If you do have Firefox and it's running sluggishly or crashing a lot, uninstall it completely, then reinstall it.

Your main problem, though, is likely your lack of memory. Good luck. I now have 1.5 Gigs. My MacBook Pro runs MUCH faster.

Doug

Also MacBooks use part of the RAM for the video processing - so of your 512 MB around 64 MB goes to the function of the video card. That leaves that the RAM that is pure RAM is around 450 MB.
If you can afford more RAM that will make a huge difference.
Sorry to hear about the iBook :( it died way too young...

Doug, Giaguara,
Thankyou for your advice guys ... I have never heard of Rosetta and didn't even realise that the OSX has PowerPC emulation software installed.

Also didn't realise that 64MB of the 512MB goes to the function of the graphics card.. so that makes some sense also..

Sounds like it may be a combination of a couple of things.. low memory and possibly the fact that the person who replicated the hard drive (I took it to an Apple Store) used Migration Assistant.. maybe i'll call them and ask them what they used.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Kundun

Most likely it is the combination of the things.
Tell what you find out about the system cloning or migration ..
Take care

Has the OS also copied to the new drive. Then sure make a backup and re-install from the DVD shipped with the system. Also keep your old hdd save as it is at the moment your master backup, nice to fall back too if everything goes wrong completely.

If with the fresh installation it still goes wrong, i suspect the laptop is bad.

Memory might be an issue, but using single applications should work oke, otherwise apple would sell systems in need for a expansion to work in an usable manner.

Good luck, Kees

Back