Take that Adobe!

serpicolugnut

OS X Supreme Being
I was one of the people hoping Apple would offer Mac Premiere users an an incentive to switch to FCP, and boy, did they come through...

Basically, you can get a free copy of Final Cut Express just by mailing in your Premiere CD. You can also get $500 of the purchase of FCP.

And to make the deal accessible by non-Premiere owners, if you buy a Mac, you can get FCE for $99.

This makes me feel a whole lot better, as I've got a copy of Premiere that will be getting tossed in favor of a free copy of Final Cut Express....

Thank you Apple!

HA! Where are all the doomsayers who said recently that Apple was going to suffer later and sit quietly now that Adobe was streamlining and paring down its less-profitable Mac ventures?

Originally posted by Randman
HA! Where are all the doomsayers who said recently that Apple was going to suffer later and sit quietly now that Adobe was streamlining and paring down its less-profitable Mac ventures?

I thought they were all working at 1 Infinite Loop. Did you hear about the squirrel with one leg? He bit the other one off trying to cross-dress the chicken.

::angel::

Not if it keeps the user on the Mac platform, where Apple will make the money back in hardware upgrades over the life of the user...

If the user was to ditch the Mac and buy a PC and continue with Premiere, Apple would have lost a customer for life, probably...

Very shrewd on Apple's part, and surely not to be overlooked by Adobe....

Now that was just plain brilliant. Very clever.

My only wish is that they would have done that as soon as Express came out before the public knew of Premiere 6.

Premiere before 6 was right in line with FCP Express at least in terms of audience and price. Now that 6 is announced with quite a solid feature set, it is more competitive with the full version of FCP (it's still no FCP, mind you, but it's better than it was), making it less enticing for PC people to switch.

Still, nice move.

I wish I had a copy of Premiere to trade in.

Voice, believe me, Apple can more than afford to eat the revenues it would have made on FCE with this deal.

Wow what a day. I had the opportunity to get panther preview CDs ( but i didn't ) and now i get free Final Cut Express!! Wow. :)

So can i go to the Apple Store or just though the mail? Any one know for sure?

If I were Adobe, I'd now offer Premiere for a $99 just to clean out inventory, then all the buys can trade it to Apple for FCE for a cut-rate price. Dang, I have FCP though. :)

Then, Apple would have to respond by making it freeware. ... Ok, I'm dreaming now. :D

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
Not if it keeps the user on the Mac platform,

Bingo! That's what it's all about. Just like the game console wars... it's not about the money, it's about the brand position. Kid grows up playing MS X-Box will be more likely to buy MS products.

Yippideedoo.

::alien::

Kid grows up playing MS X-Box will be more likely to buy MS products.
I disagree. I grew up playing Atari, but switched to SNES, then Sony Playstation.
Now, it's between PS2 and X-Box. I go with better price and selection of games that interest me. For game consoles, I have no brand sympathy, though I will give some game makers the benefit of the doubt if their history warrants it.
I would think it's more of a pr move from Apple to hush the naysayers who predicted Adobe giving up on the Mac platform from this move.
FCP owns the market right now, so Apple isn't going to lose much $$$ offering replacements. It's more of a psychological move to say: Hey, our stuff is better than yours and we're willing to show it to those few who don't know it yet.
Adobe should be shrewd enough to see it for what it's worth. Adobe will continue to have a strong bond with Apple as well as M$.
But for moves, it does continue Apple's recent trend of being much more aggressive.

I would think it's more of a pr move from Apple to hush the naysayers who predicted Adobe giving up on the Mac platform from this move.

Positioning 101: Get the brand into the mind's eye.

What does VW stand for?
GM? PS2? KFC? J-Lo?

What is the name of the company that makes Internet Explorer? Windows? X-Box?

When customer A goes to store B in search of item C, will he/she/it buy nobrand item Y or branded item Z which is a tad more expensive?

What does one think Apple is about anyway? Computers?

X-Box exists for one reason and one reason only... to promote Microsoft as (fill in blank here). As far as Apple being "aggressive," I don't see offering free software as aggressive, I see it as a way to keep people on board the Appletrain. When Apple goes head-2-head with MS, then we can talk about aggression. Apple is playing it pretty d*mn(a) safe.

Eat Snacky Smores.

Positioning 102

I don't see offering free software as aggressive, I see it as a way to keep people on board the Appletrain.
How does this do it? People are already on the train; it's just a good way to keep people on it happy. FCP was already in most people's mind already so branding is much, much less effective in this instance you're claiming.

And ask many people what Apple means to them and they'll say iPod. And come the end of the year, many, many more people (the M$ crowd) are going to think iTunes/Music Store.

And if offering a free copy of your application if people send in a competitor's version isn't a bold move, then what it? :confused:

When customer A goes to store B in search of item C, will he/she/it buy nobrand item Y or branded item Z which is a tad more expensive?
Most people will go for the cheaper item. How else do you explain the command M$ has over its dominions?

And comparing the X-box strategy to the FCP offer is like comparing JLo to VW.

And why would Apple go head-to-head with M$? An all-out attack would be suicide, no matter how good Apple's products are. M$ has the numbers, the $$ and the brainwashing all because most people go for the cheaper brand even if the quality has to suffer a bit.

Apple is playing it damn smart, not damn safe, imho. ::love::

And ask many people what Apple means to them and they'll say iPod.

:confused:
And if offering a free copy of your application if people send in a competitor's version isn't a bold move, then what it?

Selling hardware at cost.

Most people will go for the cheaper item. How else do you explain the command M$ has over its dominions?

Critical mass.

And comparing the X-box strategy to the FCP offer is like comparing JLo to VW.
I agree. However, I wasn't comparing the two. I was making a point about positioning.

::angel::

I be flyin' high... watchin' dem stars light in da sky... doo be doo be doo...

I still can't get used to FCP over premiere. and FCP needs a powerful computer to do anything. Can't even watch stuff in the FCP timeline that you edit you have to render it! In premiere you can just see it edited (this means no filters or transitions applied just cut up). So i'm sticking with premiere.

I think this is a bad move targeting adobe. They announced they aren't going to make premiere anymore so apple tries to take advantage and pour salt in the wound.

Its another case of Steve and his big-headedness. He needs to be more careful. This will lead to bad things.

Originally posted by Dime5150
I still can't get used to FCP over premiere. and FCP needs a powerful computer to do anything. Can't even watch stuff in the FCP timeline that you edit you have to render it! In premiere you can just see it edited (this means no filters or transitions applied just cut up). So i'm sticking with premiere.

I think this is a bad move targeting adobe. They announced they aren't going to make premiere anymore so apple tries to take advantage and pour salt in the wound.

Its another case of Steve and his big-headedness. He needs to be more careful. This will lead to bad things.

I'm sorry my friend I'm no FTP expert but you certainly don't have to render everything in the timeline to see the results of your rough cut there must be a case of operator error(setting your preferences i think will help)
working with DV you can see everything in the timeline plus some realtime effects(cross fades and different transitions)

Back