Taking advantage of two net connections

Gabe462

Registered
I have a cable modem and a T1 lan at my disposal. I got the cable modem because there are many users on the lan and download speeds are horrible. The lan upstream is great though. The cable modem takes care of the downstream but it's upstream is pretty slow. I want to configure mac os x to take advantage of both connections. Is there a way I can specify certain application (or everything) to upload through the lan or the lan and the cable modem?

Gabe

I got the cable modem because there are many users on the lan and download speeds are horrible. The upstream is great though. The cable modem takes care of the downstream but it's upstream is pretty slow.
Read this again and tell me if it makes sense to you. ;) I sort of know what you mean, but I know not which device has a good upstream. Is it the cable modem or the cable modem?

Ahh, but no, I'm sorry, I don't have a real answer for you.

i would imagine that this would be done by configuring routed. but skimming through the man pages i didn t see anything about seperating upload from download. don t see why it wouldn t be possible though..

could you possibly hook both connections up to your router? maybe cisco IOS would be better suited to this task than OSX.

I am currently connected to my cable modem through a DLink 704p router. It has an open jack where I could plug in the LAN, but I think that would cause conflicts with the DHCP servers and people would get mad at me. I am planning on buying another NIC if I can find out a way to do this.

Gabe

i m thinking about it. it is very easy to change which connection you upload to. that is just your default gateway. on the other hand, it is difficult to control where data come from (nor would you want to). the routers of the internet decide which route to send packets along.

for example, you ask for a large file, the request uploads along through your default gateway. it arrives at the remote host, and it starts sending packets to its default gateway, and that gateway decides where to go next. you essentially have no control.

a discussion of serving large files is mostly identical.

on the other hand, if you have both connections coming in to the same router, and the router is smart enough to know about load balancing and bandwidth sizes and such, then it will automatically decide which link to use, on a packet by packet basis (which will give presumably much better performance than if you just statically specify one link for uploads and one for downloads).

what you want is for your OSX box to be that router. one problem with that is that if you want your whole network to benefit from that scenario, then they have to have your OSX box as their default router. you are basically giving away your mac to be a router, which i don t really think is the best choice.

the other problem is that OSX routed uses RIP routing protocol, which is not smart enough to understand different bandwidths. perhaps there are smarter software routers that you could compile for OSX, but i am getting fairly daunted at the thought of it.

you mention that you are hesitant about plugging it into your router because you don t want DHCP from the cable modem interfering with your network DHCP. you would also have that problem using OSX as your router (although it could be blocked). perhaps that DLink router can block DHCP packets too.

but Dlink. i don t konw what the specs of your router are, but if it is a home use cable/dsl router, then it probably doesn t even have RIP, making it entirely useful for my suggestion. what about your T1 router? can you plug the cable modem into it?

My router isn't nearly that smart. It's just your basic cable modem-and-a-couple-computers variety. I am planning on using this computer throughout this process, so I hope that this can be dont without taxing it too much.
My network is quite small (3 computers) so there isn't really that much traffic going through it. I'm not in control of the T1 router, so I can't plug anything into it. My dlink router has an incoming packet filter which I may be able to configure to block DHCP packets, but I'd have play around with it and see what I can figure out.

Gabe

What will my computer do if I simply connect it to both connections? I know it will see them both, but would I have to tell it which to use ot will it automatically pick the one it thinks is the best?

Gabe

Back