TEAC USB Floppy SLOOOOW on Mac OS X

PowerMacX

Registered
Since I istalled Mac OS 10.1, the drive takes almost 30 seconds to mount a floppy and even more to unmount it. I couldn't find any drivers on TEAC's or Apple's websites. Did anybody had the same problem?
By the way, the drive works just fine when I reboot on Mac OS 9.2.
:confused:
TIA

My USB Floppy, and all machines with internal floppies, have always been slow reading and writing. I thought that's just how it was.

Maybe you have a conflicting app installed, like a 3rd party driver, or too many devices on one USB bus?

Originally posted by PowerMacX
Since I istalled Mac OS 10.1, the drive takes almost 30 seconds to mount a floppy and even more to unmount it. I couldn't find any drivers on TEAC's or Apple's websites. Did anybody had the same problem?
By the way, the drive works just fine when I reboot on Mac OS 9.2.
:confused:
TIA

Don't worry mate, I have 10.0.4 and the same drive. It's really slow too. it took 3.5 mins to copy 864k to the desktop, then it took <1min for 540k??? go figure

As with all things OS Xie

wait for 10.2!

I have the VST USB Floppy which uses the Teac mechanism. It too is very slow, but I guess I'm just happy that it even works with no drivers.

The stupid thing is that under OS X I can't figure out how to re-format a disk that is already formatted? So I can't switch from PC to Mac formatting?

Any tips would be great!

Welcome to the woe that is high-bandwidth USB devices.

Do you also have soundsticks? oi.

I keep my sticks on their own usb bus... and don't bother with anything else...

I've used an LS-120 USB drive for accessing floppies and that thing was frighteningly slow with OS X. "Uh oh, I've got to write a 100 KB file. I'd better go get a snack." It was just as slow when I copied the files from the terminal, so it's definitely a deeply rooted OS issue, and unrelated to the sluggishness of the GUI. It also sounds like the drive head is doing way to much moving around while it's writing. There's probably just a bug in the generic floppy drivers.

Back