tearing hair out…

I bought a full version of SuperDuper in order to be able to back up both MacBooks in our house, so I already have a backup of the problematic MacBook (from before it started acting up). I'm not sure how to start the MacBook from this backed-up version but I'll try and get the old grey matter to work on this one, thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated.
best wishes
Tony

This is going to sound incredibly stupid, but can I simply copy my backup version of Mac HD across from my external HDD to the MacBook, bin the existing 'Mac HD' and all it contains, and then use the backup copy as the 'new' Mac HD? Will it work?

Well I'm not fully understanding what you are trying to say, but I am getting that you just want to copy the system over manually from your external to main drive?

Unfortunately you aren't able to do so, so easily. This is because there are many hidden files that the system uses on the root directory of your hard drive. This is why there are programs to restore your hard drive for you.

I was thinking that if the backup copy contains exactly the same files etc as the original hard drive, it would be a straight swop. I guess that's too simple!

I was thinking that if the backup copy contains exactly the same files etc as the original hard drive, it would be a straight swop. I guess that's too simple!

Yeah, that is not going to work. Its never that simple and that's why disk utility is such a useful tool with the built in ability to create mountable disk images as well as the restore feature.

The best way to do this assuming you have one firewire connection to work with is connect both machines together via firewire and then boot the problematic macbook via target disk mode. Go into disk utility on the macbook pro, create a disk image of the problematic macbook and direct the disk image to be saved on the external HD which should be connected to the MBP via USB (assuming firewire port is being used). This way you will have a mountable disk image of the macbook HD. Once that is completed keep the firewire connection between both machines. Boot the MBP into target disk mode and insert the macbooks installer DVD into the MBP. Boot the problematic macbook up holding the option key to access the boot picker. Select the install DVD to boot from, go to disk utility and reformat the macbook drive (being cautious to select the right HD). Then do the installation to the macbook. After this you will need to create a dummy user account different from any accounts you will be transferring. Run all software updates. Then connect the external HD via firewire and mount the disk image created earlier. Then go to applications/utilites/migration assistant and start the migration pointing to the mounted disk image. Once done everything should be back to the way it was (but functioning correctly).

Last edited:
Wow, what a fantastic reply, thank you so much. Some of the stuff you mention I'm a bit hazy on, it's a terminology thing really, but it sounds like I need a firewire cable before I do anything. Then maybe a stiff drink to give me the courage to steam in! I'm kind of panicky about doing even more damage to the MacBook so I need the confidence to know any fix is going to be 'safe' in my clumsy hands.
I would be furiously hitting the Thanks button for your post but it seems to have disappeared from the site over the last few days, so I'll just say thanks once more to you and to everyone on this site for the incredible help, it is especially appreciated as I know it is all voluntary. Thank you.
best wishes for the New Year
Tony

Suggestion: Consider buying the $29 10.6 Snow Leopard and an external DVD/CD drive. Installing Snow Leopard should replace any corrupted system files, and the install should be simple for you once you get an external optical drive. I would suggest looking at www.macsales.com for a compatible external drive. Or get your MacBook internal optical drive repaired. Is it still under warranty? (I replaced a dodgy internal optical drive myself in my previous machine, a 15 inch Core Duo MacBook Pro. It wasn't exactly easy. I don't know how it is on the MacBooks.) If you don't want Snow Leopard, then using your Tiger system disks in an external DVD drive to reinstall your OS will work similarly. 10.6 offers some nice improvements, though. Bot P.S. Incidentally, I've had optical drives fail on every single Mac I've owned since 2002 including my latest MBP 13 inch. Every one! Does Matsushita (or whatever) make junky drives, or am I just unlucky? By fail I mean fail to burn CDs and / or DVDs. The latest drive will burn every disc except DVD DL..

Last edited:
Thanks very much ex2bot, that sounds like another great piece of advice. I think I will try this one actually as it sounds a bit less tricky to carry out than the firewire option (though I have ordered the firewire too, as an option). I will get an external drive like you say and give it a shot. Thanks again.
I have just installed Google Chrome on my own MacBook Pro and I was considering trying this on the malfunctioning MacBook just in case it's something as simple as a dodgy browser (don't think so TBH as the problem shows on Firefox too, also Word is glitchy, but on the basis that it can't hurt I think I'll install it anyway).
Again, apologies for not being able to press the Thanks button, it's disappeared from the site for some reason.
best
Tony

(I replaced a dodgy internal optical drive myself in my previous machine, a 15 inch Core Duo MacBook Pro. It wasn't exactly easy. I don't know how it is on the MacBooks.)

P.S. Incidentally, I've had optical drives fail on every single Mac I've owned since 2002 including my latest MBP 13 inch. Every one! Does Matsushita (or whatever) make junky drives, or am I just unlucky. By fail I mean "fail to burn CDs and / or DVDs." The latest drive will burn every disc except DVD DL..

The macbooks are a little bit more difficult to replace due to just about every cable being routed behind and underneath the optical drive. Also, there is a sliding mechanism that if not installed just right it will need to be taken apart and readjusted more than once. So if the OP has never done laptop repair then they should avoid it due to the increased opportunities of cable tears and pinches.

I think maybe you are somewhat unlucky depending on what your other machines were with the failed optical drives. But the pre unibody MBPs are becoming legendary for flaky optical drives.

I've looked at what's involved in installing Snow Leopard in the MacBook. As it's a white Gen 2 model (1.83Ghz) running Tiger, apparently (according to the UK Mac Shop) I need at least 1Gb of RAM (it currently only has 512Mb), which would cost £42. Also, the only way of getting the right version of Snow Leopard for Tiger machines (again according to Mac Shop) appears to be to buy it as part of the Mac Box Set, at £132. This seems like a big financial commitment for an upgrade that isn't guaranteed to fix my problem – and even if it does, I've still got a faulty CD drive. Replacing the existing SuperDrive is going to be another £70 or so, plus my time installing it (which is certainly not guaranteed to work!), while the option of a non-Mac external HDD is also uncertain as nobody seems entirely sure on what model will be OK with the MacBook. Plus I'm kind of concerned at reports (on this forum!) of Snow Leopard crashing.… It all seems to be pointing to 'decision time': bite the bullet and buy a new MacBook – which kind of rankles –*or soldier on with a slow (but still vaguely functioning) machine.

djackmac, I had an iMac G4. Had to have the DVD burner replaced under Applecare. That was good, though, because the original drive was 2x and the replacement was 4x. I myself replaced the drive in my Power Mac G5 under Applecare. They sent me the drive. I replaced the one in the 15" pre-unibody MBP as I mentioned. And I need to take this machine (13" MBP) to have warranty work done on it. I think all the drives were Matsushita. Hmmm. . .

Tonym911, Trying a different browser is a good idea. I don't even use Safari anymore. Mostly Firefox for me. I've been evaluating the Chrome beta. It's very good apart from occasional glitches, and I may switch. Just beware possible glitches with Chrome as it is still a beta version.

Thanks ex2bot, I'm using Chrome on my MBP and I must say I rather like it. The limping MacBook doesn't perform any better on Firefox but I think I may as well try Chrome on there, I'll report back on how it goes. Thanks as ever, your input is hugely appreciated.
best
Tony

Tony, A couple points to hopefully clear up your confusion: 1.) When nixgeek mentioned hooking up an external DVD drive through USB or Firewire, he meant that some external burners connect via USB and some connect via Firewire. The USB burners are surely more common and should work fine. The Firewire drives may be faster. As I mentioned, there are some on www.macsales.com that are compatible for sure. I imagine they'll sell to non-US residents, but I'm not sure. 2) *Any* external hard drive will work on your mac. Any drive. Whoever you asked about external drives should have said 'I don't know anything about Macs, sorry'because they obvously don't. ***You should format the external drive with the Mac file system (Mac OS Extended journaled, case insensitive).*** Use Disk Utility. Click on the icon of the new external drive on the left of the Disk Utility window, click the erase tab, give it a name, and click the erase button. Not difficult. Ask for help if you get to that point and need it. We'll be glad to help.

Oh, one more thing. The $29 Snow Leopard will update your MacBook just fine provided you have at least the minimum amount of RAM. 2GB would probably be best. Don't listen to them about the Mac Box Set. How do I know? Read it in Macworld I believe. They tested it. It's complete.

Oh, one more thing. The $29 Snow Leopard will update your MacBook just fine provided you have at least the minimum amount of RAM. 2GB would probably be best. Don't listen to them about the Mac Box Set. How do I know? Read it in Macworld I believe. They tested it. It's complete.

I've done the install over 10.4.11 once or twice. It works and as far as Apple is concerned is not considered illegal use. Otherwise we wouldn't mention it on here.

OK guys, thanks once more for your invaluable patience and advice, and for the reassurance on Snow Leopard. I presume the SL licence will allow me to use the same copy on my own MacBook Pro also? If so, it then becomes a simple financial evaluation as to whether the total outlay (£25 for Snow Leopard, £70-£80 for the DVD drive and about £85 for the memory) is worth the gamble, in the hopes that everything will be fixed by that package. I may have to factor in the Mac Box Set anyway, since Word is acting up along with everything else. I gather that Pages documents can be exported as .doc files? I will need that function as I need to be able to supply documents to PC-based clients in that format.

Last edited:
Back