technology moves a step further: 32GB Flash drives announced

This is old news.

32 GB is not enough capacity for notebooks the way that people are using them today.

There are many iPods with higher capacity.

It is silent, but so is roadkill.

Fast, compared to what?

$600 is just a tad expensive, especially for such small storage capacity.

Well: My goal for such a drive in a notebook was maximum battery life. Ever since the eMate 300, Apple has not produced a notebook-style machine that truly caters for the writer on-the-go. ;) I know, my MacBook works quite well, but it's a far cry from being in a park for 6 hours, writing stories in the bright sun. ;) ... I must say, though, I've kinda given up on this. There just doesn't seem to be a real market for it. (That being a notebook, not the drive.)

I'll still consider such a drive - if its price comes down a little.

This targets ultra-portable. But still not 100% competitive against 1" and 1.8" drives.

If it could be used as a cache it'd be beneficial. The OS already has the hot file location on the hard drive which is dynamically moving recently/most accessed files to the fastest part of the hard drive. If they could expand this to work on flash RAM and move a lot of applications to that ram it'd speed up a lot of operations. You could fit most of your applications on there for sure and some data could be cached there for increased performance.

Back