Technote on copy protected cd's

LordOphidian

Adjutant On-Line
Did I miss something, or did the technote for the defective (copy protected) cd's disapear?

Any ideas why Apple pulled it if they did?

P.S. It used to be available here.

macfixit had reported it was still available via "search" but I just tried that and even that is gone now...

maybe they are updating the tech note to reflect the fact that a little electrtical tape gets around the copy protection schemes.... :D
Can I go to jail for taping over the data track in copy-protected CD-like disks?

anyone know if you are suppose to cover the whole line, or just tangent to it? the directions are somewhat confusing

Fair use says that if you buy something, you can do whatever you want with it. The man can't keep you down Java.:D

The anti-copyright law says you can't reverse engineer anything which is used for copyright protection. This is how they went after the programmers who were making software to allow them to view DVDs on Linux. You would think that you could buy a product and use it as you like. Not so.

There is no way you could be hit for this though. Too easy to do.

However, suppose that instead of using a magic marker one had to use special software to decode the protected disks. They would probably go after the people who made the software and distributed it. The software doesn't have to be hard to make. It just has to be covered by the anticopyright law.

Fair use says that you can make limited copies for yourself (and a few other purposes). It doesn't say that the content providers have to make it easy for you to copy their stuff.

if we can make a limited amount of copies, and someone does make a piece of software (no matter how complex it is), doesnt that give us the means to do what we have the right to do under the law?

Also the thing on linux and DVDs was just a bunch of BS, since to copy a DVD you dont really need to break the copy protection you just make a carbon copy of the disc, protection and all, its been done, its easy. THE MPAAA just has its head up its rear end, and there are many law makers, and law interpreters that dont know their techs but they still make laws about them! Its sickening :mad:

actually the limited copies must be for personal use and/or backup purposes. You cannot make money on it. Difficulty is not really the issue. Money is. The software distributors make money (or take money away from the copyright owners) from the distribution and use of their software.

I realize that they are for personal use :p
whenever I buy a CD, the first thing I do is make MP3s of it, then I cold store the CD cause I dont want to scratch or destroy it lol.
Besides switching CDs aint fun, my mac is a nice jukebox :D

exactly. You are completely in the clear. I was just commenting on what seemed to be a distinction between something being easy or difficult in order to run afoul of copyright laws. There is no distinction. I mean how easy is it to set up a camcorder to tape attack of the clones and sell the copies on the street? Pretty easy, but pretty illegal as well.:)

However, distributors of copyrighted material are under no obligation to make it "easy" for people to copy said material. I wouldn't buy such crap and would make my feelings known to the label/company, but they're free to cripple their media as much as they like. Hopefully, enough people feel as I do and this will become unprofitable (even more than losses from pirated material if no one will buy it)...

Back