Teehee! MiniPC

HateEternal

Mac Metal Head
I did a few quick searches so I hope this isn't a repost.

anandtech has a review of an AOpen MiniPC which is basically a clone of a Mac Mini. I'm not joking. The funny part is I don't think this guy realized that the new Mini's were out because he was comparing it to the PPC Mini, at least in the part I read.

I had a good laugh with that one.

Errr why doesn't that company try to make something original. I think the only thing it has on the mac mini is a power button on the front.

It's quite certainly a repost... The AOpen was introduced shortly after the original PPC Mac mini, although it wasn't really available back then. Now AOpen has released a new version with Core Duo processor.

I know it's a repeat, but I don't think they even had a site up back then.

One thing that I found is the absolute epitome of what I hate about this-

"Slide-in optical disk drive ─ Saving the space needed by the traditional tray style drive, the unassuming dark, mystic and slim slot actually contains the space of unlimited power and vigor."

Uhh... hello! The iMac had that years ago! Where do they think they're coming from anyway...

They also make the comment that it's the "smallest PC in the world". It's built on the same form factor as the Mac mini! What a bunch of bullsh1t...

Actually, Anandtech is a great site. They've done some very good reviews of Macs and Mac OS X for some time now. So far, this is the only mini-like PC that's out there (the small form factor PCs that have been available before this don't count as they're still not small and quiet enough as the Mac mini or this miniPC). Shuttle is releasing one similar to this under the XPC line, although the design is a little different from AOpen's. Kind of reminds me of the original Nintendo Entertainment System.

shuttle_xpc100_1.jpg

Here's the link to the article about it:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20060226223550.html

As I've said before, I think there should be something like the Mac mini in the Windows/Linux world. No matter what Apple comes out with, the PC world is always going to flatter Apple with copycats. Of course, these aren't so blatant as the one PC vendors were trying to sell back during the days of the original iMac...

eMachines e-One (originally manufactured by SOTEC)
images604251.jpg

Future Power E-Power PC
pcx99072a.jpg

TO be honest, I would love to own one of those colorful ones. Hard to find nowadays since Apple shut these iMac clone attempts down through legal threats, but definitely interesting beasts... :D

Have you looked at their web site? It's just......wow. http://minipc.aopen.com/us/ It left me stunned for about a minute. Just how much crack are they on?!?

Kudos to them for ripping off one Apple product and another Apple ad compaign.

Mikuro said:
Have you looked at their web site? It's just......wow. http://minipc.aopen.com/us/ It left me stunned for about a minute. Just how much crack are they on?!?

Kudos to them for ripping off one Apple product and another Apple ad compaign.

Well, I guess they knew who they were copying from eh? :p

Conspiracy theory 1: It's from Apple, actually. "AOpen" stands for "Apple Opens up to the windows world", and it's their way of making profits from both their industrial design and the success of the Windows platform without hurting the Apple brand. They changed the design just a little, so people wouldn't think that were true... ;)

Borrowing some ideas and developing them further can be good sometimes, but stealing a concept and making it look like crap is just sad.

I actually don't blame them for copying the concept. The Mini, unlike the original iMac, IS a mainly functional design. Small is good, and there are only so many ways a compact computer can look. Sure, the brushed-metal front is closer to the Mac Mini than it needs to be, but...eh.

If I were in the market for a PC, I'd definitely consider it. This is the first Mac knockoff I've ever thought was worth its weight in junk.

The only thing I really blame them for is their horrendous web site. I still see it when I close my eyes...... *shudder*

If I remember correctly, it was originally promoted by intel as a concept. I'm not even sure whether AOpen tried to copy the Mac mini or actually came up with it when following this way:

1.) intel wants "very small footprint desktop computers" using Centrino technology. Maybe they even stated "should not be much bigger than a CD-drive".

2.) AOpen wants to enter in that market and thinks "we'll do one of those and design it as if Apple had done it" – without having seen the mini!

3.) AOpen has their design and concept and _product_ ready to show, give it to intel, Apple releases the mini and intel shows AOpen's design to the public.

Hm... Could be like that as well, couldn't it. The timeline would certainly be on this thought's side...

it technically is the smallest pc, being half an inch smaller than the mini. also, apparently in the documentation for the PCmini it has comparison shots with the mac mini. they are well aware of what they are doing.

i think it personally looks very cheap. it just doesn't have the attention to detail the aple has. Jonathan Ive is amazing at times.

From the anand article it sounded like it ended up costing quite a bit more once you built the thing compared to a Mini.

Sorry for the repost. I hadn't seen this one posted before, I do remember the Intel one that came out right after the Mini... but it didn't look as much like the mini as this one does.

Yup, it's acctualy more expensive, the base price is the box..
Fake Mini:
Combo Drive
1.5 Ghz Celron M processor
512 MB Memory
Wireless card (No bluetooth was oftered..)
60 GB 5400 RPM Drive
Windows XP (blah)
No Frontrow (we'll assume that frontrow isn't worth as much as windows media center edition..)
$665
(via)
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/myaopen/MINIPC.html

Mac Mini:

1.5GHz Intel Core Solo processor
2MB L2 Cache
667MHz Frontside Bus
512MB memory (667MHz DDR2 SDRAM)
60GB Serial ATA hard drive
Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0
Apple Remote

$599

Some of these companies are trying to resemble themselves after Apple, to the point of risking their creditability. As a consumer, I would be cautious before I knew they were a real company.

Mikuro is right, the web site needs serious help. Which is another reason I would be cautious, if I were to purchase one of their products.

powermac said:
Some of these companies are trying to resemble themselves after Apple, to the point of risking their creditability. As a consumer, I would be cautious before I knew they were a real company.

Mikuro is right, the web site needs serious help. Which is another reason I would be cautious, if I were to purchase one of their products.

AOpen has been around for a long time in the PC business. They have made tons of motherboards especially for PC gaming enthusiasts. They are very reputable. Additionally, AOpen as well as ASUS and some other PC companies also manufacture OEM PCs for resale by another company. They make parts for a bunch of PC manufacturers. Actually, I was under the impression that ASUS would be manufacturing the cases for some of the upcoming Intel Mac notebooks and low end desktops.

I am sure they have been around, and are reputable. My point though is when a company mirrors themselves so closely to another, it may come off as not reputable. For example, I never heard of them, and would have been cautious if I were to just randomly landed on their site. Of course, a smart consumer would do some basic research.

I just think it's sad for someone to copy and be so open about it. Even if the PC was decent, it's still going to have the same flaw that every other PC has: Windows.

Veljo said:
I just think it's sad for someone to copy and be so open about it. Even if the PC was decent, it's still going to have the same flaw that every other PC has: Windows.

For us, yes. But for some people that prefer to use Windows (and yes, they exist....unfortunately, not everyone likes using the Mac even after they've tried it), this is an option for them. Choice is always good, even if it does mean copying someone who had a good idea. The iPod wasn't the original digital media player. The only difference is that the iPod DID bring something better to the table, but even still it was an idea that was taken by Apple from someone else. Personally, I wouldn't buy one with Windows on it. I'd probably get one without an OS (if that were an option) and put Linux on it because I do enjoy using Linux on PC hardware. I might not look at the AOpen because it does look so much like a Mac mini, but the Shuttle one looks interesting enough for me (see my earlier post for the pictures of it).

Back