terminal app for USB serial port

tyc

Registered
I have a SPARCstation 20 that runs headless. I would like to connect a 25pin serial<->USB adapter between the USB port on a TiBook and the DB-25 serial port on the back of the SS20, and be able to run some kind of terminal emulator on Mac OS X to interact with the SS20.

Please offer suggestions as to what terminal software I can run, as well as what USB <-> DB-[9,25] serial adapter I can buy that will work with OS X. I see that keyspan has some adapters with OS X drivers...

Thanks for everyones help! :D

I've made the Keyspan USB -> Mac serial adapter in conjunction with ZTerm work for me. I use this to connect to router and switch console ports. The Keyspan USB PDA should work as well, but the trick to either adapter is having the right cable to interconnect your device.

If you go with the Keyspan 2 port USB -> Mac serial, here are the Mac serial pin outs and descriptions to help you with a cable choice.
Note: Ground pin 8 for standard RS232. Use Tx/Rx + and - for balanced serial connections. I believe that would be RS422.

8 pin mini DIN Mac serial pinout:
1) HSKo output handshake (DTR)
2) HSKi input handshake (CTS)
3) TxD- (transmit data for RS232)
4) Ground
5) RxD- (receive data for RS232)
6) TxD+
7) Not connected
8) RxD+ (ground this to emulate RS232)

Here is a pinout for a female DB9 Null Modem adapter. You can use this pinout to see how the signals are matched between DTE (Data Terminal Equipment) and DCE (Data Communications Equipment). You should be able to match signals for your Sun Station's serial DB25. The DB25 serial pin outs I don't have handy but should be easily found on the net.

Null Modem Adapter Pinout:
(DB9F_DTE) (RJ45F_DCE)
(DCD) 1 -
(RCV) 2 ---- 6 (XMT)
(XMT) 3 ---- 3 (RCV)
(DTR) 4 ---- 2 (DSR)
(GND) 5 ---- 4 (GND)
(DSR) 6 ---- 7 (DTR)
(RTS) 7 ---- 1 (CTS)
(CTS) 8 ---- 8 (RTS)
(RNG) 9 -

(DB9F_DCE) (RJ45F_DTE)
(DCD) 1 ---- -
(XMT) 2 ---- 6 (RCV)
(RCV) 3 ---- 3 (XMT)
(DSR) 4 ---- 2 (DTR)
(GND) 5 ---- 4 (GND)
(DTR) 6 ---- 7 (DSR)
(CTS) 7 ---- 1 (RTS)
(RTS) 8 ---- 8 (CTS)
(RNG) 9 -

Just wondering if you've had any luck. I am looking into buying an ibook and using it in part to hook up to headless Sun servers for servicing. I downloaded Zterm and rigged up a USB->25pin serial cable but have had no luck (using my desktop G4 and a plam usb cable). I don't want to dish out $1500 on an ibook just to have no luck there either.

Thanks,

helios as you can see no response from tyc on this in the last month.

I would bet your problem lies in the cable you're using. There are companies who make specialty cables for this situation if you are not handy with a soldering iron.
I assume you are using some kind of USB->serial converter with the G4, yes?
What's also important is the pin outs for the serial connection or console port of your Sun (Sun seems to have special port pinning compared to others). You should be able to find this info in it's manual or a quick search on line. Your Sun model is important.

I'm willing to get into this with you but more info is needed.

Thanks for the detailed replies! I bought the Keyspan PDA adapter and am going to find the correct interconnect for it. I also have some 3Com networking equipment that I am going to try it out on... I'll update you all with the successful configuration :D

Back