Terminal app quit working [Process completed]

bfc

Registered
When i startup terminal a window opens and all it says is "[Process completed]". I dont know that i switched anything and i cant get in even if i did, I was hopping someone would know what this error meant. I looked threw the inspector and opened new windows with no avail. It worked yesterday!? Any help would be appreciated!

I was trying bash (doesnt come in bsd obviously). I copyed the /bin/tcsh off the macosx cd, but i cant get into root hehe, i'll keep working on it :)

[bfc:/bin] % ls -la tcsh
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root wheel 0 Sep 25 17:39 tcsh

0 bytes hu, that musta been the problem....

I tried copying the MacOSX CD Install/bin/tcsh to /bin/tcsh but when i tried to run tcsh my load would sky rocket and nothing much would happen. Does anyone know where i can download tcsh or how to replace just that file? any help will be apreciated :))

I have the same problem, my tcsh is probably damaged but i don't know how to replace and from which source! I'm searching to fix this problem, if i found anything ill'write again! HI

I have the same problem, my tcsh is probably damaged but i don't know how to replace and from which source! I'm searching to fix this problem, if i found anything ill'write again! HI

That just happened to me too. The terminal also says "Process was terminated by signal 11" I can't ssh to my machine anymore either. "Top" will run from the cpu monitor, but if you control-c that it will give process completed again.

Well....I just got it back. I had made a folder called "init" in my Library folder to try some new personal terminal settings, and I just removed it, and now my tcsh works fine. and my ssh works fine. put it back in and it broke. I was trying to use psuedo instructions in /usr/share/init/tcsh/README which sounded like a unix/osx hack to personalize tcsh. Maybe there are some files in that directory that are the culprit if everything else seems to be working. I'd like to know what the "signal" messages mean in the shell.

I have explained why this happened in a different post in Bug Reports. It's called Whorable evil bug that'll wreck your computer, because it is. There i explain what happens and show you about 100 files that zeroed out. hit back and take a look.

G4 500 AGP

Well, I'm looking at those corresponding files on my machine and nothing in those directories is being changed by root on a regular basis. The way they're set up now, only root can change them. I suppose all those files were changed to mode 777 and all the data, save the filenames, destroyed by root on Sept 25, at 5:39 and 3 minutes after at 5:42. The timing somehow makes me think it's a shutdown realted issue... My question would be what could root have possibly done, or wanted to do that caused that? It can't have happened too many days after you installed beta, so is it right to assume that the rest of us have a time bomb on our machines that's about to kill our terminals and all those commands as well? I want to think of some preventative action to take.

I noticed root did change my ssh prng_seed file mode to 750, and ssh wanted it to be at 600. I don't know what caused that either.

Originally posted by Trajan
That just happened to me too. The terminal also says "Process was terminated by signal 11" I can't ssh to my machine anymore either. "Top" will run from the cpu monitor, but if you control-c that it will give process completed again.

Well....I just got it back. I had made a folder called "init" in my Library folder to try some new personal terminal settings, and I just removed it, and now my tcsh works fine. and my ssh works fine. put it back in and it broke. I was trying to use psuedo instructions in /usr/share/init/tcsh/README which sounded like a unix/osx hack to personalize tcsh. Maybe there are some files in that directory that are the culprit if everything else seems to be working. I'd like to know what the "signal" messages mean in the shell.

I just suffered the same problem. Deleted the init folder like you said and sure enough, that fixed my problem. However, I still wanted to use customized aliases file (and I do at work so I knew it was possible) so I quickly figured out that it was the aliases file that ResExcellence has you copy over from /usr/share/init/tcsh/ that causes the signal 11 problem. Since they have you delete that entire file anyway, simply create a new file in that directory without copying that other one and you should be fine.

-Ali

Back