Terminal & Console -what/why you need to use it for ???

Donmumin

Registered
sorry to sound Dam, what can i use Console & Terminal for ?

cant most the things be done on GUI interface rather tehn digging in to the root lever i.e using Terminal.

as for console i have no idea what it is used for.

thank you

In short, yes, many, but no all, of the things the terminal can do can be simulated with an application of some type...

But trust, many times, it's easier to use the terminal then digging through hidden panes for a particular setting.

Also, for many UNIX ports, install itself depends upon terminal access...period. Unless you have BBEdit 6.5 (shell worksheets are a god-send), then master the Terminal as though it were your second child.

The Console is a rather simple application which displays system-level error-messages and warnings.
Very useful for debugging annoying, and poorly written Cocoa applications...as well as some daemon's ( like FMPro server ).

In short, learn them, love them, live them.

While it'd be nice to have GUI options for everything, the CLI can be a very powerful tool. I use Terminal for a lot of batch operations that the Finder simply can not do. I can navigate the console just as fast (if not faster) as I can with the Finder. I use the CLI for permissions management and editing flags of files that misbehave in the Finder.

Console is never really used by users that much. Console simply displays the system log. For example, if you run a game like Quake 3, it'll dump a bunch of messages into the console that you can look at later. The console is great for troubleshooting because a lot of apps log errors there that otherwise go unreproted in the GUI.

If you don't see a use in the Terminal.app, just don't use it. It's for users that know what to do with it. Very dangerous item in the hands of a kid.

If you're *interested* in using it, get a good book about UN*X or a girlfriend that digs Linux. She'll show ya. :p

Back