terminal erased desktop

industripop

Registered
Hi all,
I looked all over and couldn't find much of an answer. I was working in the terminal the other day and pasted something in that completely wiped out all of the folders on my desktop. My hard drive icon is still there, as well as all of the programs and everything that was on the hard drive...I just lost all of my desktop folders. I haven't tried to reset the PRAM yet, because I have a third part keyboard that won't seem to let me do it. Needless to say, I'll be staying away from the terminal from now on.

Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks!!

It's not Terminals that kill Desktops, it's people with Terminals that kill Desktops. :p Sorry... Couldn't resist. If you _really_ actually did an "rm -rf ~/Desktop" in some pasted script, then there's nothing you can do, actually, and and that folder (Desktop) with all its contents is gone. The harddrive on the Desktop is not logically within the Desktop folder, of course, so it wasn't deleted. Neither your apps, which are residing in /Applications ... But if you _did_ erase Desktop through Terminal.app, then your Desktop is gone and won't come back. Unless you have a backup.

D'OH! I figured as much. I do have "FileSalvage" but that isn't going to recover a lot of what I have. Man...I just remembered that all of my working files for my website were on the desktop waiting to be backed up.

Back