Terminal "Feature"? o/ turns to ø

Jasoco

Video Gamer/Collector
I don't know if it's a feature or a bug, either way it's an annoyance.

Whenever I type o/ in the Terminal it changes it to ø. This is NOT what I want.; I can't type URL's that work because of this.

I don't know how long it's done this but I only noticed it yesterday when I tried to Curl a file and a folder ended with o. Every time I typed the slash it would merge the two characters into a crossed through ø.

I have looked all over the place for an option to turn it off but can't find it anywhere.

Oddly, it also occurs in the "Open Location" field of RealOne Player. But no where else I've noticed. Not even TextEdit.

Which is why I tried turning of "Extensions" as it were with the Shift key held while logging in.

It still happened.

I'll try it with Rebooting later. Maybe it's loaded at bootup. Still, what could be doing this?

It sounds like dead keys have been turned on. I did a quick search and didn't find anything on that topic to help you but have you been messing with the keyboard layout of the language local? Check that you have all that set to them thar good ol 'mercan settings.

Also are you setting a local in unix space? Type setenv in a terminal and tell us what is the value of LANG=

As a work around I have used lots of systems with dead keys and it is the input order that matters so typing a space after the slash and then a backspace should give you the ultimate result you are looking for.

Good Luck,
-Eric

[Stephanie:~] jasoco% setenv
HOME=/Users/jasoco
SHELL=/bin/tcsh
USER=jasoco
LANG=en_US
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
QDTEXT_ANTIALIASING=1
QDTEXT_MINSIZE=12
__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0
TERM=vt100
TERMCAP=????
TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=81
LOGNAME=jasoco
HOSTTYPE=macintosh
VENDOR=apple
OSTYPE=darwin
MACHTYPE=powerpc
SHLVL=1
PWD=/Users/jasoco
GROUP=staff
HOST=Stephanie.local.

I haven't changed any settings myself. The keyboard is exactly what it's been since I was born. I use an English keyboard, I'd like to not have my characters change when I don't want them to. It's something Microsoft would do.

Originally posted by lurk
As a work around I have used lots of systems with dead keys and it is the input order that matters so typing a space after the slash and then a backspace should give you the ultimate result you are looking for.

Good Luck,
-Eric
Nope. First thing I tried. Doesn't matter what order I type it in it will ALWAYS change o/ to ø. And I am beginning to get angry.

Back