Terminal has lost its mind

ex2bot

Registered Bot
I have a problem with my terminal configuration:

I was running one of those ffmpeg front-ends. It messed up my terminal, and now whenever I open a new terminal, the startup script attempts to run ffmpeg. In addition, my path is screwed up, and /bin and /sbin are not in the path so common commands won't run without a path. Pain.

Problem is, as a Unix neophyte, I don't know where that configuration file is. Can someone help?

Doug

You should trash your com.terminal.plist file in Home/Library/Preferences.
All your terminal settings will be on default after this.

im not sure this will reset the PATH settings though, as they are environment variables.. i could be wrong though..

actully, check your ~/.profile file, every time you start a new terminal the .profile is executed and can be used to set shell variables and the like. Also it could be starting ffmpegx. I think in bash (panthers default shell) you would set your path like this: PATH="$PATH ... ... ... ... ..." ; export PATH. But then I just got panther installed on sunday and really haven't had much time in bash yet.
But check .profile.

Actully, set the path as above but with colon seperated values... not spaces.

Thanks everybody. Trashing the prefs got rid of the ffmpeg startup, but my path settings are still toast.

ls
tcsh: ls: Command not found.

Also, as shown above, I'm running tsch instead of bash. Didn't Panther or Jag change the default to bash?

And I can't find .profile in my home directory. It's not there. Would someone mind posting their .profile file so I can restore it? Or suggest a better alternative.

Thanks again.

Doug

If you're using tcsh you'll have a .tcshrc file in your home directory.
use the example below (from my .tcshrc file, to add the ServerLogistics install of MySQL 4 path) to re-create the correct paths for your account.

Code:
setenv PATH /Library/MySQL/bin:$PATH

make sense?

I'm not sure if it has the same effect but I always do this to change something to my PATH:
set path = ( $path /bin )
I then add this line to my .tcshrc file rehash,-- piece of cake.

Back