Terminal help...

minimuppet

Registered
I've just downloaded a shareware program which I can't get going...the program's support said that I need to open command-line prompt window, change it's current directory to the install folder (a "bin" folder located in Applications) and then type the filename.sh...

Unfortunately, I don't know how to change the directory at the command prompt and it's been a decades since my Apple Basic ;)

Any help would be appreciated - including how to type in the path name in full...
Thanks...

'I've just downloaded a'n unidentified 'shareware program' from an unidentified web page, on an unidentified Mac model - running an unidentified version of MacOS X.

'Unfortunately, I don't know how ... and it's been a decades since my Apple Basic'; Applesoft (BASIC) or Integer BASIC, provided with the Apple II series, did not use UNIX commands; nor did the Operating Systems (DOS 3.3 or ProDOS).

'Any' further information, such as that being labeled 'unidentified' above, 'would be appreciated ...'.

minimuppet said:
I've just downloaded a shareware program which I can't get going...the program's support said that I need to open command-line prompt window, change it's current directory to the install folder (a "bin" folder located in Applications) and then type the filename.sh...

Unfortunately, I don't know how to change the directory at the command prompt and it's been a decades since my Apple Basic ;)

Any help would be appreciated - including how to type in the path name in full...
Thanks...

To change directory at the command prompt, type "cd YOUR_DIRECTORY_HERE".

Examples:

All of these change to your home dir:
cd ~
cd
cd $HOME

Change to root directory:
cd /

Running scripts, from directory script is in:
./scriptname.sh #Must have executable bit(s) set
sh scriptname.sh

Running script from one directory about the bin directory:
bin/scriptname.sh #again, executable bit must be set