Terminal Icon

Javintosh

Meember
I was looking at the icon for the terminal application (yes, I have no life! ) and I realized that it is not an UNIX terminal at all! :eek:

I mean, the white text against the black background is not at all like any UNIX terminal I have ever used. Furthermore, the greater than symbol on the top right of the terminal is very suspicious. Shouldn't that be a % or a #? :confused:

Call me paranoid, but that icon sure as hell looks more like DOS than UNIX! :mad:

Thought y'all'd like to know...

Yeah, looks more like a DOS prompt or something... :eek:
Well... maybe this was whut linux' prompt's looked like way back in the early computer years, before microsoft stole the :\> prompt from the linux community to use it for their ms dos :D

Personally, I think the border of the screen should be changed to beige, the '>' changed to a '#' and the text "#_" changed to amber; then we'd have a good, meaningful icon.

I dunno, the border is meant to look like an Apple Studio display - not the little apple bottom-centre. Not sure if that is what we're after, but that part doesn't bother me.

I agree the text should be amber or green. Perhaps the classic prompt character would be '$' - plain old Unix bourne shell.

Not that that's any more meaningful than the one we already have... :rolleyes:

;)

(If you're a novice user, chances are you won't care about the terminal at all... if you're an expert user, chances are you already know that it's a UNIX prompt, not a DOS one.)

Originally posted by scruffy
I dunno, the border is meant to look like an Apple Studio display - not the little apple bottom-centre. Not sure if that is what we're after, but that part doesn't bother me.

It's definitely supposed to look somewhat like that, but that's more than a terminal display. The little thing I did I modeled after the VT320 I have, except for the Apple logo, of course.

Um... I installed Linux (Mandrake Linux 8.0) on my PeeCee today when I found the CDs, and I can assure you all that it was white on black...

The prompt was $ however... dont know about that >

The prompt depends on what shell you are using. OS X's default shell is tcsh, whose default prompt is "> ", so I think it is very appropriate. Very possible DOS's got copied from that; not sure. I always change mine to % for users and # for root. My usual user prompt is actually "%B[%m %~]% " and root's is "%B[%m %/]# ". The %m often gets changed to something other than the machine name if it has more meaning to me.

Btw again, this is from the tcsh man page:

"In the normal case, the shell begins reading commands from
the terminal, prompting with `> '."

Incidentally, sh, bash, and ksh's default non-root prompts are '$', and csh's is '%'. I believe zsh's is '%' as well.

Is a utility that will read your prompt, and your Terminal prefs, and make an icon that matches your Terminal.

That, and a way for different users to have different icons for the same app.

... THIS is what Americans do when they've got nothing to do? I guess I'm missing something, but the original Terminal icon provided by Apple is a perfect icon for a terminal, both because it shows basically a blank screen with a prompt (it does *not* matter what that prompt really is, > sounds reasonable) in the colors of all Utility applications. Apple Human Interface Guidelines for Mac OS X say: Colorful, photographic icons for applications, greyscale photographic icons for utilities.

And the 'beige' try a few posts before: It sucks totally. Ever used a graphics application before?

Back