Terminal not working

Ripcord

Senior Lurker
Hey guys,

Just bought a brandy new 1.25ghz G4, and just getting things set up. However, ran into a weird quirk.

For some reason, at some point my Terminal.app started going wacko. When I tried to open a new shell, it would just open the process and then terminate. I had set it to terminate as soon as processes exited, so I couldn't get into "Window Settings" fast enough to change this setting and see what was going wrong. I set a preference to "Execute this command" for /bin/tcsh, hoping it was just a problem with the shell I was running. This also just did the same thing.

Then I tried to run a "New Command", specifying "tcpdump" (I was thinking it wouldn't terminate immediately, which is wrong). It just ran "tcpdump; exit", and the window went away immediately.

Now for some reason, whenever I try to open a New Shell, regardless of whether I have it set to "Execute using the default shell" or not, it just executes "tcpdump; exit", though at least the process window stays open now...

Anyone have ANY clue what this is all about? Or what file I might need to change to prevent this from happening? Fortunately I can still get to a shell using "term" that comes with X11.

I see no .rc, .profile, .config, etc files in my home directory, except .cshrc, which I've tried renaming with no effect.

Help!

Thanks,
Rip

Ripcord,

Try (at your own risk, of course) trashing your terminal preferences in /Users/username/Library/Preferences (the Library in your home folder).

Doug

Hmmm... I don't see a preferences file for terminal in there. Do you know what its name would be?

You want to remove com.apple.Terminal.plist in ~username/Library/Preferences, hopefully that will solve your problem.

Yep, I found it. Not sure why I missed it the first time, I looked through the com.apple.* files for one called terminal... And removing it fixed my problem. Thanks!!

Back