terminal/telnet as browser application helper?

tony

gamelaner
Hi,

What do people use as a browser application helper for telnet links (telnet://. . .)?

On my UNIX machines, I use "xterm -e telnet . . ."

I would like to do something similar on OS X with the terminal.app and telnet.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

-tony

...thats a good question tony and while we are on the subject, can anyone tell me where I can find a list of commands for the terminal window? Should I read a book on linux, unix, or OS X? :confused:

Originally posted by bossa nova
...thats a good question tony and while we are on the subject, can anyone tell me where I can find a list of commands for the terminal window? Should I read a book on linux, unix, or OS X? :confused:

i remember being in your position, not being able to find out any info for commands and such. heres two options that have worked very well for me. go on Amazon.com or some online book store and find a book on *nix commands (i used Csh & Tcsh by O'Reily, a very nice start on commands and configuration), read it from page to page, and keep it near by for reference. Remember to read it while at a computer, makes it much easier because you remember things if you read about them and try them first hand while their still fresh in your mind. then, explore the system. take what commands you now know about, and read the manual on them (simply type "man command" where command is what you want to know about). remember that not all commands have a manual with them, so some of them you'll either have to research or simply try out to find what they do. once you do reach something with a manual, read up on it, try it out, then go to the bottom of the manual page and do a manual on the other commands it suggest looking at. keep doing this so on and so on and you'll eventually know more about the system than you probobly intended to in the first place. also, visit macosx.forked.net for things you can install onto your system to make it, well... better. their all compiled for the mac, so all you have to do is run the install package, enter your root password (some of them require this so that they can install in the right places, otherwise they dont have enough privlages to write to the folders), click install, and relaunch the terminal WINDOW (NOTE: you dont have to re-login to the system, restart your computer, nor relaunch the terminal application, just simply close the current window [if one is open] and open a new one). simple, effective, fun. i myself have installed irc programs, port scanners, web browsers, and colored ls commands that show directories, files, and programs as different colors, giving you a quick knowledge of what your looking at.

have fun :D

Back