Terminal thread

just a thread for ppl to tell and spread information about the terminal and its uses. i really like using the terminal but i dont know many comands, i would like to know if you can email from the terminal, like from dos promt in windows.... or accessing other computers from a network.. if anybody has something to say spill it here.

Bah, I posted a really long message, then got "No thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster" and it wasn't in my cache :p

Here's a shorter version. Sorry it doesn't provide as much information.

I think a couple Mac magazines have posted "How To" guides for the Terminal in OS X. Mac Addict comes to mind, sorry, no links.

Navigation is usually the first things taught (besides learning that the "man" command is used for help... it's short for "manual").

You can use pine for reading e-mail in the terminal. Doesn't come with OS X though, requires a quick d/l, maybe a compile. gcc is a compiler that comes with OS X (developer tools).

You can telnet and ssh into a remote computer from the terminal. ssh is more secure, if the computer is setup for it. If you turn on "Allow remote login" in the System Preferences it sets up your computer so it can be accessed with ssh. There's ftp support of course too.

Cheers,
Dak

I thought pico only came with pine. I know pico is there, so I assumed pine was also. Huh. Learn something new every day...

Wow, this is an OLD thread. :)

You can do everything in terminal.

From connecting to other computers to email .. about everything.

How do you use the terminal, guys? :)

I like links browser (need to compile to use it) .. and have tried mutt for email.

Ssh and telnet, installing packages, software, cleaning the trash, querying everything from the mac ...

there is also emacs preinstalled in the system by the way.

Lets' revival this thread.. ;)

Simple, get yourself any BSD manual and that will cover a significant portion of the magic that is possible. I'm sure there are some OSX specific books out there now as well, but having a firm grasp on basic Unix will get you a long ways.

Back