Testing FinkCommander...

sao

Anybody out there brave enough to test FinkCommander ?

<<FinkCommander is a graphical user interface for the Fink software packaging system for Mac OS X. It provides an intuitive front-end to the Fink command-line tools for downloading and installing Unix software.

FinkCommander has not been widely tested and may do damage to your system. It also raises some security concerns, which are documented in the README.>>

http://finkcommander.sourceforge.net/

I think it can become a very useful tool, especially for unix newbies. I tried it and installed several fink packages without any trouble.

Cheers...

The command-line's working fine for me right now. Maybe I'll try FinkCommander when it's at a later stage of development.

I dunno. It seems like if people are going to be installing UNIX apps, they should have some basic familiarity with the command-line. I certainly feel I'm a lot better off having had to use the command-line to get started with UNIX.

One year after the release of OS X, though, I'm still psyched about learning all about UNIX while using a Mac. Wow! I even feel knowledgable enough to try to install Linux this summer. Maybe. :p

-the valrus

Yeah, I have refrained from installing and using it because the alleged 'unstability'. As it runs as root user, it could really wreak havoc on your system.

I'll definitely give it a try in the future. :D

dani++

So back up your data so if your system crashes you can re-install without losing anything...

Otherwise, I agree with Valrus. The command line works just fine, so use it. ;)

Hi all,

I agree with nkuyu, you should anyhow back up your data in any case, even if you don't test anything.

The purpose of 'testing' is not when the package is already established, but in the early development of the sofware. :)

Anyhow, I found out is not so 'unstable' as the README file might suggest.

I heard the developer will be releasing a new version this weekend.

Cheers...

PS: And yes, use of the command line should be encouraged.

The command line is in many cases irreplacible. However it does get old after a while. It is really great to have the function of fink and dselect with all of the information clearly presented. I have had great success with finkcommander, in fact I can't tell what the bugs are.

Of course, now that I have some idea what I'm doing with the command line, maybe I'll try out FinkCommander sometime. Probably not anytime soon though, since I'm going home in a couple days... where we have dial-up, one phone line, and a PeeCee already connected to it! So Fink would probably not be too useful there. :p

And I probably won't be posting here as often. :(

-the valrus

Back