Texas

The Madhatter

Registered
I love Texas. I was born and raised here, and have in all my traveling (I've been to every state but Oregon, New Hampshire, Wisconsin, and Alaska. I've been to Canada, Mexico, England, France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Scotland, Austria, and some small European countries), never come across a place I would rather live, with the exception of 1 Infinite Loop. We are pretty proud that 1) our former governor is President and 2) our state flag is the only flag that is allowed to be flown as high as the American flag.

Steve made an interesting comment in his keynote about Texas being the hardest state to take in educational computer sales. Give me a break, I am sure Texans would be extremely receptive to Apple invading the state!! Hahahahahaha. Not really. Being the home of Dell and Compaq, not to mention many software companies all dedicated to Microsoft Windows development, Apple is kinda scared of the territory (with the exception of some financial HQ in Austin). This is terribly unfortunate for me, meaning my chances of an Apple store in Houston are pretty slim. I am doing my best to convert the masses, and have done quite well so far. Perhaps Apple should take the initiative to do something uniquely Texan in an attempt to profit from the state. The best thing I can think of is the new iMac with a Texas shaped LCD monitor- it would be the iMac: Texas edition. That would be pretty awesome.

It just seems like sometimes it's me vs. the world here. Not a moments peace that I am not lobbying for the Apple cause in my dorm. Texas A&M is also extremely Windows oriented, although I hear there is an Apple users club there. I am going to try and find it so I can join, but I suspect no more than 15 people out of 44,000 students are members. Oh well, it'll be fun.

We are pretty proud that 1) our former governor is President

i heard that what you guys like about having that texan for president is not having him as your governer:D

Ahh Texas A&M...I used to go there. Was in the Corps...didn't take to it so I moved back home and am going to SWT. There is actually an Apple store in Houston just check it out on the Apple Website it says there's a store. At least I know that's where they fix stuff. I on the other hand have even more troubles. I live in San Marcos, half an hour south of Dell's base of operations, Austin, there's not much mac love in and around here. But just recently t.u. (UT hissss) made all it's students in the education department buy apple based laptops for their upper division classes. So it's a step forward. So far my switch count is up to one...and am working on another at the moment. :D I just wish Apple could get a store further south than two in the Dallas area. Oh well.

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '05! AY AY AY AY AY!!! WHOOP! (you can't make me push, so ha).

livin' in the beautiful city of College Station right now.

Ed Spruiell,
As a Texan I'm embarassed to have the president be George Bush. The man is an idiot. I'd rather our state suffer than the state of the nation. AHHHHHH. Anyone who knows anything about the current Governor would have NEVER voted for Bush as president because Rick Perry is an idiot. He grew up in the same town as my father, so I know crap others don't.

On another note. I'm from SWT also. Good to see another mac person representing here.

Well, I don't think you have much to complain about governor-wise as your only alternative would be Tony Sanchez, a freshman Democrat who supports the President when it is profitable for him, but distances himself when he starts getting flak. In addition, he is for affirmative action, against school vouchers (something desperately needed in Texas), and against qualified judges on the Supreme Court.

What could you possibly know about Rick Perry that could even come close to something as bad as perjury and obstruction of justice (aka Bill Clinton)?

Besides, when we are talking about who has a greater number of potential skeletons in their closet, the award definitely goes to Sanchez (money laundering schemes, strange border patrol officer deaths). Oh yeah, Perry tried to convince a State Trooper not to give an aid a ticket, big deal, besides, state officials don't get speeding tickets when the House is in session.

for the record...I don't hold the president on that high of a pedistal (sp?). If society doesn't hold sports figures artists responsible for their actions I don't think our president should be put through a ridiculous number of hurdles to prove that he is somehow more human than the rest of us. For instance, Mike Tyson beat his girlfreind...or course he went to jail...but they didn't kick him out of boxing.

School Vouchers
Flat out...they are a joke. Instead of releasing the money to pay for an education from a private school, the state should spend the money to increase wages for teachers. My father was a teacher for Austin Independent School District. At the end of his teacher career, he made somewhere around 35,000 dollars. Its ridiculous. Schools don't have quality teaching because the teachers don't make enough money to have a quality life.

my apologies Madhatter...I cannot comment on the ethics of the former and the present Governor of TX. Flat out, i'm not up to date with their shortcomings. I voted on the issues

gnite

Back