text question?

Is there a way to make it so that the text can't go past a certain width, and wraps to a new line when it reaches that point?

use a div with a width attribute or a table with a width attribute.
put the text within either of those and it should wrap as it gets longer than the width you specify

Dreamweaver can do it as well. Any visual html editor should be able to do it. Just create a table, set the parameters, and it will limit where the text flows.

A DIV example:
Code:
<div style="width: 100px;">
lots of text here that will wrap when it hits the edge of 100 pixels in width, which is not much at all
</div>

A TABLE example:
Code:
<table width="100">
<tr>
<td width="100%">
lots of text here that will wrap when it hits the edge of 100 pixels in width, which is not much at all
</td>
</tr>
</table>

I'm really bad with code, but I spent some time on it and this is what I came out with. After I start typing more then whats there on the third line it just starts ignoring the width and resizes the table accordingly.

<table width=260px; height=320px align="left">
<tr>
<td align="left" valign="top">ffffffffffffffffffflots of text here that will
wrap when it hits the edge of 100 pixels in width, which is not much at
all </tr>
</table>

that looks like it's working when I test it on my machine.

you might try adding a width="100%" to the td tag. but it worked either way for me. increase and decrease the table px width and see if your resulting text goes along with it.

problem MAY occur when you put a long word in there (something that's longer than 260px, but I don't know of many words (at that font size at least) that should exceed that 260px width.

Back