TextEdit AND Word 2004 Freeze on Save

spitty27

Apple Avid
I'm having a problem both in textedit and in word. ive researched this problem and found out that my Normal template could be corrupt and i should trash it, however, when i do, and i relaunch word, its supposed to recreate a normal template which it doesnt - it simply freezes on the splash screen.
im not sure if this is related, but textedit randomly decides to freeze on save as well. any thoughts?

i guess i should try reinstalling word...

UPDATE
i trashed my microsoft user data folder and opened word. it hung on the splash but eventually brought me to the template selection. i chose normal word, i quit, opened again, it generated a normal template file in the folder, tried saving, and it froze again...still have yet to try reinstalling

You may want to try trashing com.microsoft.word.prefs.plist/ office.prefs.plist in <your home>/library/preferences

I wish I had an answer for you but I will say that I have had heaps os problems with Word. I spoke to Microsoft person who admitted that the present version is not totally compatible with Macs. The 2008 version is supposed to deal with the problems. So- hang in there.

However- I get that your problem might be something else since you are also having issues with text edit.

Back