tftp and syslog

ickyshuffle

Registered
I am trying to setup either an OS X or OS X Server machine as our syslog server and tftp server for our local configs for routers and switches. I have entered the code listed on the Cisco web page to config syslog to point to the file I would like to use (/var/log/routerlog) and rebooted but still no luck. The routerlog file has 666 (rw-rw-rw-) permissions and is owned by root:wheel.

Tftp doesn't seem to work either. I have tried both a sym link to /private/tftpboot and directly creating a tftpboot folder in the / directory. The permissions on the tftpboot folder have been 777 (rwxrwxrwx) and the owner is root:wheel.

Anyone with any luck or any ideas? I'll post this to the Network discussion, too.

For the syslog problem, whatever line(s) you added, make sure you separate fields with tabs, not spaces. This is an old syslog quirk that's been around for years, where lines with spaces are simply ignored (and I just verified it to be present in at least 10.1.1). And you probably want mode 644 for the new log file, if not 600.

I've gotten tftp to work but I needed to edit /etc/inetd.conf and
remove the -s flag from the tftpd invocation line.

Then obviously HUP the inetd.

When you get teh file from the OSX server, it has to
be of the form 'get /absolute/path/of/file file'

I cant make the '-s' thing work.

Back