that darn'd system-xfree86 placeholder

emersunn

Registered
I have installed X11 on both of my Macs. It runs good on the G4, but on the iBook i cannot get system-xfree86 installed.

Here is the error from fink:
[ibookaphie:~] emersunn% fink install system-xfree86
sudo /sw/bin/fink install system-xfree86
Password:
Reading package info...
Information about 769 packages read in 12 seconds.

pkg system-xfree86 version ###
pkg system-xfree86 version 4.2-1
The following package will be installed or updated:
system-xfree86
dpkg -i /sw/fink/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/system-xfree86_4.2-1_darwin-powerpc.deb
(Reading database ... 3454 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking system-xfree86 (from .../system-xfree86_4.2-1_darwin-powerpc.deb) ...

dpkg: error processing /sw/fink/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/system-xfree86_4.2-1_darwin-powerpc.deb (--install):
subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
/sw/fink/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/system-xfree86_4.2-1_darwin-powerpc.deb
### execution of dpkg failed, exit code 1
Failed: can't install package system-xfree86-4.2-1

What's going on? I didn't even have to install the system-xfree86 placeholder on the G4 desk computer. It was already there!!!!

i just wanna run Dillo & Gimp . . .

I encountered the same error when trying to install it on my iMac. I found that if you try installing from source rather than from the binary, the error is explained somewhat better, listing a number of files it was looking for, but could not find. At least, that's what it did on my machine. Digging a little deeper, I found that while the files it was looking for weren't there, there was files with similar names. For example, it might say that file xxxx.dylib was missing, but in checking the directory I do find a file called xxxx.0.4.dylib. I then made symbolic links to the files with numbers, with the links named as the files fink was looking for, and everything worked smoothly, including installation and running of Gimp and OpenOffice. The one exception was the last file listed as missing, a something.h (I don't remember the exact name). There was no similar file to this one, so I simply created an empty text file with that name in the appropriate directory, and fink was happy.

Now, granted, faking the existence of files that don't actually exist is probably not the best of practices, but hey, it worked. And I have yet to find any problems with it.

mac avenger, i looked for missing files but they seemed 2b there.

here is a different error from apt-get:

[ibookaphie:/sw/bin] emersunn% sudo ./apt-get install system-xfree86
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package system-xfree86 has no available version, but exists in the database.
This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
of sources.list
E: Package system-xfree86 has no installation candidate

ALSO A CLUE FROM FINK.SOURCEFORGE.COM - A faq there said I had to install X11 SDK to get this to work. I do not know how that is going to help, but I am downloading it now . . .

Back