That painfully cheesy panther video

It's NOT a commercial, ad or something for crying out loud! It's an INTRO video of Panther! So, what the heck is all this fuss about? :confused:

It shows *some* Panther features, it shows some "known" Apple customers, it shows a VERY beautiful Apple Store, it shows almost the same things that Apple shows in their Intro Videos in the past few years from anything PowerBook to the G5! :eek:

It ISN'T a commercial, an Ad or something! It is an intro video of Panther... So there! :p

The only thing that is cheesy or embarassing or whatever is the rant that is going on here for a product's intro video! Not to mention that Panther is simply, if not the best, one of the best OS platforms out there, right here, right now! :)

Hulk, if they are to make intros, they really shouldn't make the visitors look random, and if they are to make the visitors look random they should have done a better job than they did.
Take a look at the PowerBook intro, we didn't complain about that, did we?

Gimme a break! The only REAL difference between this intro video and all the other before it, it's the place! This simply took place inside an Apple Store! The same happened only in one other intro video: iTunes Music Store and iTunes 4... Come on! Otherwise all the intro videos are almost the same... :p

i watched the video without audio... (my cousin was sleepin and i didnt have any ear plugs.)
anyway... i thought it was a good one. it looked like it included all the important features to attract those who are not sure of upgrading.

the mac users that are a bit more interested.. and with a bit more knowledge on macs... should know for the past few months that panther (just like jaguar) is a MUST-upgrade.
the video covers only a few pros of panther... but its much more than that :)

OmegaMan said:
Well....regardless of the cheesy ads, it's released.

Unless you go to http://www.apple.com/ca (Canada), where it's counting UPWARDS! I think the webmaster took off early on Friday for the weekend! *l*

omegaman - that is classic - i thought you were joking when i first saw your posting, (perhaps a piss-take of the Canadians?!) but then checked it out!!!

LOL!!!

Thanks for sharing...

voice- said:
Hulk, if they are to make intros, they really shouldn't make the visitors look random, and if they are to make the visitors look random they should have done a better job than they did.
Take a look at the PowerBook intro, we didn't complain about that, did we?

I have to agree with voice...

I don't mind the ad in general (really not sure about Homer (sp?!) though), but the secondary players made it all seem rather home movie-esque with paid actors...

To me it didn't gel as well as anything they've done before - I loved the PB ads when they first came out - not ads as such, but introductions to a great product...

This one didn't do it for me, but, then again, I'm not the target audience I guess!?! (Not American, for a start!!!)

Still love Panther though!!!

One more thing, by the way, is that video lieing? He says Exposé shows all the stuff with the touch of one button, then he presse that one button (F9). However, I have the 15" PowerBook, and assuming it's the same as that 17" he has there, I have to hold down (fn) and then press (F9) to get any effect.
This is when using default configuration.

Did he lie?

Yea, they probably edited the video so he just had to press one button. :D

And I have to say when I first saw this INTRO I didn't realize those guys were all told what to say. I thought it was as real as ever!

Hey, it's just a promo intro video for Panther. Yet, I have to say that I'd like to see one of those where a nice 25 year old tech-savvy woman explains to Omar how you really work on a Mac. ;-)

It's cheesy, yep, but such videos are. However: I like the ones best where Jonathan Ive talks about the ideas behind a product design. Those were the best.

Yea, Ive is cool, he avoids the cheesiness. But he can't beat the big and small guy on the plane with 12" and 17" Powerbooks-ad. :)

Well the Will Ferrell short was the best. He needs to do another. If he did an iPod ad, dancin' and stuff... I would fall out laughin'.

:confused: mmmm... it looks that a M$ video showing "you life will be yet more easy" or "macs are easy, sooooooo easy, it is all you need..."
but yes, it sells...

hey, what's next feature in Mac OS X ? a stupid clip, or dog asistant that tells you "what do you whant to do today?" like M$ Office...????!!!! :mad:

Awwww!!!

Nice facial expressions ...

disturbing_omars.jpg

And look at the guy on left. :D

Mystery_Guest.jpg

I like it gia...
and Anyone want to throw me more condensed 'panther is good, panther is great' marketing stuff? still gotta convince the mother that panther is worth one and a third benjamin's.

habilis said:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/video/
[rant]
What a bunch of overblown hype. Who the hell is this in-your-face geeky coked up rastafarian-wannabe Omar anyway? The interviews with "random customers" are so obviously fake I felt embarassed. There's hardly any real red meat changes between Jag and Panther so Omar, please, take a chill pill and have some peanuts. Pather should have just been called exposé 10.3, since that's the only cool new function. Everything else is fluff. Stuff I've been doing with 3rd party programs for years.
[/rant] :eek:

Habilis, I think Omar is the quite successful founder of a number of commercial web sites including BlackPlanet.com. He has been a fixture in certain tech/commentary circles for years. It's surprising that you didn't recognize him.

The "encrypt on the fly" standard, as an integrated feature, will no doubt be very helpful to lots of users who are security conscious, including corporate and academic users. I'm sure certain government agencies will be very interested. It's hard to poo poo Panther as fluff. Very few knowledgeable commentaries are saying that. The issue really is, will it still, even as great as it is, result in more marketshare. Those of us who love Apple's products hope so - and yet, of course, the jury is still out. People usually don't buy the best software, just the package most conveniently bundled with the electronic junk they buy. It is unfortunate, but true. iPod/iTunes might help in that context, to educate the audience.

Personally, I think news of the Virginia Tech supercomputer, together with many of the incremental improvements in Panther, and the continuing security problems of Microsoft Windows will have an unexpectedly positive impact on the acceptance of Apple's products more broadly into commercial and academic settings. Apple seems to be hitting on all cylinders as far as I can tell. There's no time to rest, but they seem to be moving along quite well.

Back