"the application Software Update quit unexpectedly"

zeddeh

Registered
I seem to be experiencing a few difficulties with my 500 Mhz, G4 tower.

Whenever I try to use the "Software Update" under Finder it goes through the motions "checking for software" and then justs quits in an instant giving me the message "the application Software Update quit unexpectedly". I also have this happen on a regular basis while using Final Cut Pro Express.

However, everything works fine with both of these programs running on my 12" powerbook.

Both are running 10.4.2 and I am trying to keep as things equal to make life easier. N=However since it w

Could this be a hardware problem or is something maybe gone wrong wth with the OS? I tried repairing the permissions but that hasn't fixed anything.

According to the Error Report it says:
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000006

Has anyone else had this happen? Any idea what the cause might be?

Thanks, as always for your help here.

Mr Zedd

me too- nothing fixed it- repair permissions, repair disc, preferential treatment, disc warrior- it has just stopped working. Rumor has it upgrade to 10.4.3 will help but many posts suggest the upgrade has caused many problems- update quitting seems to correspond to apple putting 10.4.3 out- I do not understand how this could be but the timing is such that it seems more than just coincidence Mike

Well, I managed to update the OS by using the web browser and it seems to have fixed the "Software Update" crashes mentioned earlier. I haven't used FCPro that much recently so I can't say whether or not it has also fixed that occasional "unexpected quit" error as well.

There is hope... although I notice that Spotlight is very slow on my 12" PowerBook more so than it was before.. who knows...

Thanks for the ideas.

Mr Zedd

Back