The BIG Switch.. Here's my story

HeliAnimal

Registered
So I got away with not having a laptop for long enough. Being a Pilot for a jet charter company I decide a laptop is necessary for my lifestyle.
I've had a Dell XPS desktop for almost 3 years.. yes the one that is the size of a suitcase and weighs in at probably 40 lbs. 3 year old computers to me need to be swapped out like stale bread. So I need a desktop replacement.
Ok. I like quality stuff. I've resisted buying a laptop because they're all so bloody UGLY. I mean look how cheesy the Dell's look! 95% plastic. I go into a mac store and stand in awe at how sleek and beautiful the new Mac Book Pros are. But wait!... Windows you say?? Intel?? hmmm. I new possibility has arisen.

So I go all out. 17". 2gig ram.. ect. FireLite 80gig portable drive. Lacie 250 external.
Well Over $3K later I have my laptop sitting next to my desktop. I run BootCamp and slam a windows disk in. My 1st though... HOW FAST is this baby in 3dMark 05 next to my P4 3.0 GHZ 2gig Ram desktop with a Radeon X800 Pro graphix card. I'd be happy if it was close. But end results running both in XP pro.. my new MAC BOOK PRO SMOKED my old computer with it's $350 graphics card and ALL! over 5000 for the mac.. and 4057 for my old PC.

The Switch. After 2 months of using my Mac.. I have just reduced the windows partition to JUST enough for Adobe Premier Pro 2.0 and video suit. That is really the only reason I go over.. that and to mess with the new WMP 11 and crap. I LOVE OS-X. I'm still learning things, still trying to get some video's to play here and there. From what I've found there is a way or answer to anything you can do in windows but better. Only thing windows stomps MAC in.. is the ability to run Picasa by google. WAY WAY better than iPhoto IMHO.
I will be posting and learning from this great site. Sorry to inform you I got a DELL 24" monitor instead of the Cinema display. Seemed a lot of mac guys even recommended the Dell for cost and brightness. But I love the Dell! at least they can make one thing decent. Whats another $800 when you've already spent $3500?

Erh... Can you now edit the posts which we moderators can delete? Simply replace the text of the posts to delete with "Delete me, please..." or something like that. :)

Back