The bug is back!

homer

Safety Inspector
Anyone remember that thread about that bug where you open the About This Mac window and then drag an icon on top of the window which results in an instant logout and login again? I looked for that thread and couldn't find it.

Anyway, it's BA-A-A-CK. I think it was fixed in 10.1.4 (or earlier), but I have it in 10.1.5 now.

D'oh! I mean, whoohoo! :p

You ain't kiddin', bub. :D

Of course, I could be wrong--that it wasn't ever fixed. But I THINK I tried it out in 10.1.4, and it didn't have that *interesting* behavior.

Never had this bug, and still don't. I don't know what in the world you guys are talking about.

UPDATE: I mean, in the sense that I've never had the "bug". You sure it's not some weird application conflict or something?

Well, if it's an application conflict that can happen when no applications other than the Finder are running (obviously there are plenty of processes running, though), then maybe.

Here's the message I get in the system log when I do it:

Jun 13 09:42:50 localhost WindowServer[315]: CGXSetWindowProperty: Operation on a window not owned by you
Jun 13 09:42:50 localhost WindowServer[315]: CGXInvalidateWindowShadow: Operation on a window not owned by you

when i bring up the about this mac dialog, LoginWindow comes to the front. If you quit that, then you will have instant logout. But dragging a file on to or around this window does nothing.

On anotherfront, apple have fixed the momentary system lock up when the modem is turned on or off (iTunes always used to skip). But now the volume keys are very un-responsive and they only beep every 3 or 4 notches now. This still annoys me they need an option to "turn that stupid beep off"!

Any other changes in 10.1.5?

Attachments

• loginwindow.jpg
    loginwindow.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 41
Eh? What's loginwindow? I've never seen that before.

The strange thing is that back when the original thread was posted, lots of people had this odd behavior, but lots didn't. Really weird.

Any other changes? Well, now sometimes when I'm in the Finder I'll click on menus or icons, and nothing will happen--the menu won't open or the icon won't be selected. However, if I right click anywhere, then left-click somewhere else, everything becomes responsive again. :confused:

now that's weird. :eek:

I realize this is off topic, but I must comment about you aviator Powermaster.

I love "Office Space". It is one my all-time favorite movies.

Ahh the Red Swingline Stapler...
:)

Originally posted by profx
when i bring up the about this mac dialog, LoginWindow comes to the front. If you quit that, then you will have instant logout. But dragging a file on to or around this window does nothing.

Sheesh, what do you guys DO to your machines? I feel sorry for them already. ;) (Translation: I don't have this problem either.)

On anotherfront, apple have fixed the momentary system lock up when the modem is turned on or off (iTunes always used to skip). But now the volume keys are very un-responsive and they only beep every 3 or 4 notches now. This still annoys me they need an option to "turn that stupid beep off"!

Any other changes in 10.1.5?

To "turn that stupid beep off", just hold down shift while before pressing the volume keys. Instant no beep that has been in there for a long time!

That is great! I never knew that. finally presentational meetins with my laptop won't be filled with *beep* *beep* when I adjust my volume.

I love finding short-cut keys.

There should be a thread of just short-cut keys and what they do in the OS.

Originally posted by testuser
It sounds like a bug that you might have installed yourself.

Have you installed any software that patches the kernel (Norton, beta drivers)? ...alters the functioning of the Finder ( Haxies, etc.)?

I don't know of anything I've installed that patches the kernel. I guess I did have Tinkertool installed for a while (but got rid of it) and Silk, but I'm not using Silk any more. Other than that, just regular apps. I'll have to see about removing Silk and seeing what happens.

thank you simX.

and login window dosent show any more, we had a power cut last night and when i turned my computer back on it works as expected. Also the volume keys are back to normal!

Horay!! :)

Great call, testuser! I removed Silk from the system, and my strange bug is gone. Thanks for the tip!

Back