The column view - love it or leave it?

Columns View - Your input

• Love it!

• Learning to live with it

• Hate it

• I never used Macs before osx so I don't know what the "classic view" is

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have used Mac OS 7.5.3, 8.1 and 9.2.2 for 8 years, and Mac OSX 10.1 and 10.2 for almost one year.

Column is the OSX element that has multiplied my productivity (as far as filesearch, filebrowsing, file editing, moving etc.) by two, if not three.

I have lost hours with Classic windows. Column view is what I always dreamed of, even though it still has some problems (column size can't be locked, you can't dimension a window by saying you want it 2, 3 or 4 columns-wide, etc.).

I voted YES. :p

I prefer another type of columns (don't get me wrong, i like the columns... but there is a better way): first column should the the path, second columns the current folder content and the third column the icon or/and thumbnail.

This makes possible in one click to go back any number of levels, and keeps clarity in the window.

Originally posted by chevy
I prefer another type of columns (don't get me wrong, i like the columns... but there is a better way): first column should the the path, second columns the current folder content and the third column the icon or/and thumbnail.

This makes possible in one click to go back any number of levels, and keeps clarity in the window.
Excellent! I love it!

Post the suggestion in the post in my signature, and we'll add it to the list.

update 03.13.2003

I'm starting to adapt to the new column view. It was originally really bugging me to no end - as you can tell by my first post - but in the open & save dialog boxes if you drag the box so it shows at least 3 columns and more files up and down, it can come in quite handy at times.

However, that being said, I'm still faster with the classic view at work. This will take all the adaptation skills I have.

...my god am I actually agreeing with toast??? what's this world comming to...

Column View is awesome!

When I have to go back to OS 9 I can't even use their views. I have to use Browser X, Coela or Greg's Browser so I can have the column views in OS 9. Another thing I hated about 9 was how many windows I had to have open. I can just bounce back and forth thru the tree with column view in just one window.

I rarely use icon view but list view is helpful when sorting by date or when I want to see the file size.

I'd remove the view icon from the toolbar. Just use Apple+1, Apple+2, Apple+3 to switch between the views.

column view is tight ! When I started with OSX I was real timid about it, but after about a year of using it I set global default to column view, and I love it along with ?-shift-(a and h) its real good. btw, anyone know other keyboard shortcuts for folders? like root, music, movies anything really. I just saw ?-shift-u launch camino and ?-shift-s opens bluetooth file exchange and ?-shift-j opens javabrowser... I should make a list

apple + d = desktop

Ohh and i just realized you could expand the save box for more columns. I'm so excited now!

Originally posted by twister
Ohh and i just realized you could expand the save box for more columns. I'm so excited now!
Usually you can... some programs don't let you expand their dialog boxes, which can be annoying, but most do. 4 columns usually suffices for me... although I hate having to resize them for every new column; but I have to do that in 9 too, so there's nothing really to complain about.

Back