The Day That Most Software is Shiped on DVD's

JetwingX

iWork for Apple <3
I was just kind of thinking to my self this-morning, "Wow, it's going to be interesting when software companys are going to have to ship software on DVD's because it's bigger than 700 MB"

So I pose this question to you:

What do you think of the day when software is shiped on DVD's...?

Well, the Powerbooks come with one ... I was staring at it.. "what? ONE cd??" untill I realized it was a DVD. That specific one, Powerbook dvd, has soem disadvantages as well: software install and restore. I wish I had gotten the OS in separate cds, the applications in a separate on and so on. Well, less material, space, time and money I assume to put all them to a dvd. :)

DVD's aren't necessary because of the size, the software can still be shipped on multiple CD's, just like the OS. If companies started doing this, they would eliminate anyone who doesn't have a DVD drive in their machine.

Current trend is most computers ship nowadays with DVD drives, so I don't think the not having one will be a problem in the comming years. It's the same thing that happened when they changed from floppys to CDs, when a large majority is there it makes sense.

I'd say you see it mainstream in 2-3 years, if apps start to become big enough to dictate it that is. Right now very few apps are so big, but time will change that.

Can you even BUY a non DVD machine? I'm not sure about the emacs, but all other current apple machines support DVD, and with the price of a PC DVD drive, I imagine almost all PC's do as well.

I rather have 1 DVD vs multiple CDs. Especially for installing an OS - just stick it in, answer a few questions and go out for cofee. Come back and it's done! Not babysitting it throught the entire install.

I wish DVD Drives would come down lower in price so it would phaze out CD-Rom drives entirely. That way we can replace the CD Drives in Servers too. :)

Honestly, for me CD-Rs are just too painfully small for me now (for data storage). I can see software mostly being shipped on DVDs and would be very greatful for it (for the software packages that need more than 1 cd that is).

Dvd is the future...heh. Cdroms are becoming to small, as i see games coming packaged in 3 and 4 cdroms and such, it just gets to the point of being annoying. I've seen pc DVD+-RW drives for about $100(no name brand of course) so i figure soon enough, we will all be able to afform dvd-rams for storage and dvdroms are just as cheap as regular cdroms now.

Can anyone see the day when wireless bandwidth will be so cheap and plentiful that all you need is a dime sized antenna and a pay per download (iTMS similar) model to buy any type of software you want?? Where you can beam hundreds of thousands of terabytes from the US to Siberia in one second? I expect things to just keep improving, and boy will my day be more fun then the other day ;^)

doesn't a DVD spin slower for the same amount of transfered data per sec than a CD? Also a good argument next to the capacity. Means less noise and less heat. And probably less battery drain for all those books.
And I believe that all software that are developed in these days and probably coming on DVDs are not meant for old systems anyway. So, the question if a DVD drive is installed is kinda answered.

mr. K, I think when the wireless bandwidth will be so wide, all those software developers would offer you to run their programms remotely. No local data needed. At least no programm files. I think the current record in transfering data over a very long distance (europe to usa) was more than 5GB/sec. I cannot exactly remember this number, but I know it was faster than the fastest PC Ram-transferrate...
Sounds promissing. At least for the wired solution

Final Cut Pro comes on DVDs. Four of them, actually :p
I can imagine having to install a software package from 21 CDs. Eh..

mr. K said:
Can anyone see the day when wireless bandwidth will be so cheap and plentiful that all you need is a dime sized antenna and a pay per download (iTMS similar) model to buy any type of software you want?? Where you can beam hundreds of thousands of terabytes from the US to Siberia in one second? I expect things to just keep improving, and boy will my day be more fun then the other day ;^)

IMHO, I can't see that very soon. Where I live, I don't even have cable (or DSL)

well we used to be on multiple floppies so i think over the next 5 years we will see more and more dvds out there

Right... everyone remember installing something from 15 or 20 floppies? What a pain! Then the CD-ROM came along and you got everything on one disc... DVD is the logical successor to CD, unless they need to start using DAT cartridges.

Or some insane new wireless codec -- 5GB a second streaming anyone?
But my uncle is working on a project like this - he came up with a method to compress data real well, and right now they have it all set up to run through fiber optic cables (his system can carry more data then anyone, faster then anyone, with less degradation) and are trying to earn some money off it, but they are planning to move on to wireless after they finish up the cable version.
I have $100 invested in the effort, and if it does pay off I'm looking at a huge return -- something around $1,000 or even more :^)

Back