The deed is done

HateEternal

Mac Metal Head
I just dropped ~ $760 on a PC :-/

CASE COOLERMASTER CAV-T03-UW RETAIL - Retail (Qty=1,Price=$56.50)
MB DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D RT - Retail (Qty=1,Price=$135.00)
VGA|MSI RX800-TD128E X800128 R - Retail (Qty=1,Price=$196.00)
POWER SUPPLY ANTECSP-500 RET - Retail (Qty=1,Price=$75.00)
CPU AMD 64 |3000+ ATHLON 64 939P RT - Retail (Qty=1,Price=$147.99)
DDRAM 512X2|64X64 C2 3200 ELDCKOCZ - Retail (Qty=1,Price=$125.99)

I have mixed emotions about the whole thing. I had to get something I could run Windows on because I am going to be a whole lot of C# development next semester and there really are no great replacements for VS.NET out there and my current PC got hit by lightning. I also wanted something so I could game again. So while am excited about getting this new computer so I can finally play Counter-Strike:Source again (and well... i just love getting new computer stuff), I still wish I could not even bother with Windows, once I got my G5 I almost completely stopped using my PC, except for the rare occasions where there was something that I needed it for and Virtual PC just wouldn't cut it.

I am really looking forward to getting the parts and putting them together. I am probably going to dual boot it with Windows and something of the *nix flavor. Using windows only when I really have to. I have this new found hate for Windows because at my job I am forced to use it ALL day. When I come home it is soooooooo nice to sit down in front of the G5 or the iBook and use a real operating system and I don't think I ever appreciated OS X as much as I do now.

Oh well.. this post wasn't really about anything... I just wanted to share it with somebody and I haven't finished the code for my Blog yet. So there you have it. Try not to laugh.

C# and the .NET platform ROCK. And everything you work on (mostly) will transition to the Mac with Mono 1.7 and Cocoa#.

Enjoy!

HateEternal said:
...my current PC got hit by lightning.
Let that be a warning to you... Mother Nature does not like PeeCee's.

I understand being fried by an lightning caused electrical surge, but to actually be HIT by lightning!

How does lightning hit your computer a the house?

Was it sitting out in the back yard when lightning struck?

Hits the power lines outside the house or hits a tree that lines run under.... Still amazes me how it makes it all the way through the circuit breaker and all the way to the plug where the computer is.

chornbe said:
C# and the .NET platform ROCK. And everything you work on (mostly) will transition to the Mac with Mono 1.7 and Cocoa#.

Enjoy!

WinForms is compatible with Cocoa#?

The only problem I've found with Mono is that it's very very lacking in good documentation. Things like Cocoa# really hammer home that point. I can't find any documenation/tutorials/reference/etc on this library. Despite my efforts at trying to love Mono on OS X, I feel jilted :p.

If you're serious on .NET development, get a PC. You've just spec'd out a very sweet machine there.

riccbhard said:
Hits the power lines outside the house or hits a tree that lines run under.... Still amazes me how it makes it all the way through the circuit breaker and all the way to the plug where the computer is.

Just an example of WAY too much power and how it kinda sets it's own rules. "Circuit breaker/fuse box...do those mere mortals really think that'll stop me?" says the surge as it jumps it.

mdnky said:
Just an example of WAY too much power and how it kinda sets it's own rules. "Circuit breaker/fuse box...do those mere mortals really think that'll stop me?" says the surge as it jumps it.

Speaking of power surges; here recently there was a storm and there were to short power surges right in a row. Amazingly my PC was fine...... as well as my Mac Mini. The PC was actually still on standby like it was before the power surges.

Since everyone seems to want to know.

I wasn't home at the time, but we had a bad storm one day, my roommate was on his computer playing Counter-Strike when whatever it was hit and he said he heard a zapping sound. His computer didn't shut off but he then shut it down. I can't remember correctly but I think all of my computers were off, and they are all on a fairly nice surge protector.

The next day (before I come home) everyone is having trouble getting on the net. The all of the routers lights were on and that is all it would do. So they went out and got a new one. The plug it in, seems like everything is working. One guy (using xp) has his computer telling him that he isn't connected to the network, the other has his (xp as well) telling him that he is connected but nothing will work. So I come home and they start telling me about all this - my first reaction - oh sh*t my PowerMac. I run into my room turn it on - everything is fine. I had my iBook with my so I wasn't worried about that. I didn't even try the PC till later.

Turns out our router is what took the hit (IDK how, the cable modem was fine so i don't think it came through the cable, no lights or appliances were effected except for network devices) Turns out everyones onboard NICs got killed that were directly connected to the router, so my roommates got some PCI NICs and they are back up and running. My powermac wasn't getting an IP so I checked the switch i have in my roomt (i have more computers, so i have my own switch) and the port that was plugged into the router is dead... so is the one next to it, but the rest work. I change to a working port and everything is fine. Later on I tried to turn on my PC - nothing. On my PC I was using a PCI NIC and it was plugged into one of the ports that got fried.

So I do a few tests, Put the powersupply in a different computer, it works fine, check the switch on the case, it is fine. So unlike everyone else, my NIC didn't stop the surge and it killed my whole board.

In the end I decided to just get a new computer instead of replacing the motherboard. I still might do that at some point, but I need to check to make sure the CPU and RAM wasn't effected first. Hard Drives are fine.

So yea, it sucked because it was the end of the semester and I had a few DB projects due that i needed to use MaxDB SQLStudio for. I ended up using VirtualPC for that but it was a pain because SQL Studio doesn't exactly run fast on a good machine, let a lone an emulated 500Mhz machine :p

Cool story huh?

Oh yea, the 9800 pro died a few months before when i kicked my surge protector and it turned off and on really fast, I was using someone else's crappy nVidia card.

I've had bad luck with that PC this year... well last year too... When i put the 9800 pro in it was too much for the PSU and the PSU ate it. Other than that it has been good to me. I built it 4 years ago for like 600 bucks at the time that was pretty much the high end AMD chip(minus the 9800 pro).

mdnky said:

True, there wouldn't be much to do about it if the house itself gets hit by 20 MV bolt. But most surges originate farther away and can be stopped with the proper equipment.

Reminds me I should really get a UPS, heh.

Back