the definitive 150 features list

crash

and burn
not to call apple liars but i want to have a list of all 150 features. we all know the big ones, so if you found a tiny feature improvement, list it here so we can all see it. and i think counting iChat as a "feature" is ok in this case.

1.) Quartz Extreme
2.) Rendevous
3.) iChat
4.) improved universal access
5.) improved desktop sys pref
6.) font-smoothing options in "general" sys pref
7.) address book
8.) new "CDs and DVDs" sys pref
9.) changed "internet connect" app
10.) improved sharing sys pref
11.) improved software update sys pref
12.) improved internet sys pref (with really good .mac functionality)
13.) small change to energy saver sys pref
14.) new options for classic control
15.) the little spinning arrows (when the app is trying to display a long list of files or whatever)are now repaced with a spinning series of bars.
16.) search in toolbar in finder windows
17.) better SMB support as evidenced by the "connect to server" option in finder
18.) new "eject" menu item in finder
19.) new cursor for apple+shift+4
20.) audio MIDI Setup
21.) ODBC administrator app
22.) Bluetooth file exchange app
23.) inkwell
24.) sherlock 3
25.) fancier get info box

by far not an exhaustive list, so if you guys know any little features, post them!!

that;s no fun! i thought it would be cool if everyone posted a cool feature. (by the way, i knew about the calculator features and forgot to add them.)

Okay - I'm game!

Under Universal Access (many useful even if you are not disabled)
26. Zoom
27. White on Black
28. Flash screen for alert sounds

Under Speech
29. Talking Alerts

30. Terminal supports ANSI colors (I think this is new)

I'd add more, but let other people play.

Well, you forgot spring loaded folders, the new show modem display and connection time in the menu bar, when you minimize a window in the dock it now has the icon of the app it is from on it,the bluetooth app, the new screen when you first boot your mac, no longer the smilely mac, replaced by the apple logo, the new scroll speed setting under the mouse pref, they renamed screen saver to screen effects (not really a feature) , other things I have forgotten or haven't noticed yet.

31.) anyone notice the little noise when you move items to the trash?
32.) lots of new options in terminal... native window transparency is a big one
33.) new copy cursor (try option-dragging a file)
34.) vastly improved preview.app
35.) i forgot to mention mail.app and all its fancy new features

all for now. keep it going guys!

apple when you start up instead of happy mac

new dock color

refined aqua interface

faster window dragging

speed setting for mouse scroll

- Now fully POSIX Unix compliant
- New GCC compiler with Altivec optimisation
- Split screen in terminal
- Samba server
- Flurry screen saver (I suppose it counts)

1.) Quartz Extreme
2.) Rendevous
3.) iChat
4.) improved universal access
5.) improved desktop sys pref
6.) font-smoothing options in "general" sys pref
7.) address book
8.) new "CDs and DVDs" sys pref
9.) changed "internet connect" app
10.) improved sharing sys pref
11.) improved software update sys pref
12.) improved internet sys pref (with really good .mac functionality)
13.) small change to energy saver sys pref
14.) new options for classic control
15.) the little spinning arrows (when the app is trying to display a long list of files or whatever)are now repaced with a spinning series of bars.
16.) search in toolbar in finder windows
17.) better SMB support as evidenced by the "connect to server" option in finder
18.) new "eject" menu item in finder
19.) new cursor for apple+shift+4
20.) audio MIDI Setup
21.) ODBC administrator app
22.) Bluetooth file exchange app
23.) inkwell
24.) sherlock 3
25.) fancier get info box
26. Zoom
27. White on Black
28. Flash screen for alert sounds Under Speech
29. Talking Alerts
30. Terminal supports ANSI colors (I think this is new)
31.) System Sounds
32.) lots of new options in terminal... native window transparency is a big one
33.) new copy cursor (try option-dragging a file)
34.) vastly improved preview.app
35.) i forgot to mention mail.app and all its fancy new features 36 )apple when you start up instead of happy mac
37) new dock color
38 ) refined aqua interface
39 ) faster window dragging
40 ) speed setting for mouse scroll
Others
41 ) Sort by category or by alphabetic order (system preferences)
42) Folder description (shows how many items there are inside with a blue text under the folder)
43 ) New (or better) microphone support inside the sound pref pane
44 ) New Aqua
45 ) Get info show memory for app..used and suggested :)
46 ) New desktop pictures
47) new imac icon on the nav bar
48 ) improved Java support
49 ) Security update
50 ) new FORWARD navigation button
51 ) improved text edit
52) Animated icons (drag a file inside a folder (regular folder)and you ll see it will open before popping inside it)

Previous versions of OS X were almost, but not quite, compliant with the POSIX standard of unix (which defines what commands should be suported and how).
By "almost" I mean that many commands were left out or were not fully implemented. This makes a difference when you're getting deep into the unix stuff, or just shell scripting.
Now, Jaguar is fully compliant with ALL unix standards. :D :p :D

The new compiler means that if you compile a unix program in Jaguar, it will be better optimised to take advantage of the G4 architecture and will run better than an app compiled on the old compiler. This means the apps that come out in the next few months will run better, especially on G4s.

Sorry, guys, I just wanted to add them to the list, and didn't think to explain them.

about every new feature you remember are visual or visible ones. Mac os X.2 goes far beyong !!!
so here are some others :

-IPV6 support
-CUPS support for printing
-LDAP support
-Kerberos support
-netBoot support
-file system larger than 1TB support
-ActiveDirectory Authentication support

plus some other visible ones :
-firewall configuration
-the calculator become more usefull (but I still prefer Menulator)

We can find 150 new "features" !! I'm sure ... even if some "features" are not real ones (like new fonts or man pages ...).

Oups, i forgot an interesting one : I've heard that accounts was much more configurable now ! great !

These 2 are really fixes but they are important to graphic artists:

Printing support for transparent layers.

and

Twain support for scanners.

Anyone been wondering why 3rd party manufacturers have been so slow with the new driver updates for printer and scanners?:rolleyes:

Originally posted by tombstone
These 2 are really fixes but they are important to graphic artists:

Printing support for transparent layers.

and

Twain support for scanners.

Anyone been wondering why 3rd party manufacturers have been so slow with the new driver updates for printer and scanners?:rolleyes:
Pfftt... my scanner was working fine until Jaguar came out. Jag broke TWAIN, now I can't scan at all.

"not to call apple liars"

I'm sure none of us would wish to call apple liars, especially if, like me they had forked out 100ukp for the privilage of owning OS X 10.2.

One of the features I was interested in was 10.2s support for IPV6. As someone who is very interested in networking and already has an IPV6 internet connectivity set up in my home, I was excited to be given the chance to try it out on a desktop machine rather than a "normal" unix box.

To be honest I expected to be able to configure it from the network preferences panel (it being a Mac and everything) but this was not to be. Neither did the help files contain any mention of IPV6. Neither did the knowledge base. Neither did the people at techhnical support know how to configure it (they still havnt got back to me with an answer).

Being experienced with Unix/BSD I have actually been able to set up IPV6 by manually configuring network interface and adding routes using the command line so I can confirm the kernel support is there.

But...

The OS X features list claims that I can "Surf the next-gen internet with ipv6", now much as I hate the term "surf" I think most people would not disagree that this implies that I sould be able to, at the least, browse the web and read email.

As far as I have been able to work out neither IE or Mail support IPV6 at all (applications have to be written slightly differently to be able to deal with both IPv4 and v6 as there are differences such as address size etc.) a fact which can be demonstrated by using an ipv6 encoded URL and watching what says it is connecting to at the bottom of the window.

I would love to be shown otherwise but I am sorry to say that I DO believe that the claim that I can "Surf the next-gen internet with IPV6" is a lie, and I will continue to believe so until someone demonstrates the contrary using the software contained in the OS X 10.2 box.

I guess we are down to 149 features.

Back