The Dock Is Great! Stop Complaining! I'm Tired Of Hearing You Sissies Whine About It!

iPenguin

Hey, Look!
Personally, I love the dock!

... After a couple of tweaks, that is...

By using Docking Maneuvers, and Dock Lock, I got the dock to hang off the right side of my screen, and stay there!

Then with TransparentDock, I made the dock completely transparent, even have it have no outline whatsoever (the icons are still there, if you where wondering).

After that, I love my dock!

I agree: the Dock is awesome! It is really cool! I have mine small, with magnification to maximum, at the bottom center of the screen, without any extra stuff. I used to have it on the left center with the size set on smaller than small (a little hack I preformed), but most applications didn't like it (they still didn't let me resize to the bottom of the screen). It is the best part of Mac OS X!

Is that from TransparentDock? I just did the 'replace the PDFs with different ones' thing, but I didn't realise that transparentDock could remove the border too.... although, now endian comes to mention it, it does seems a little strange...

Yeah, I didn't know you could remove the border. I'm going to versiontracker right now to get TransparentDock.

-Rob

...why I didn't get it TRansparentDock the first place - too much faffing around for something so basic, however nice it looks. Call me lazy, but I'll wait for the proper full-on GUI 'click her and it works' version, I think...

if you want the dock transparent and without a border there is a full blow gui called "TransparentDock", you click three buttons or something similar and tada! icons floating on your screen!

And no it's not weird at all! It basically just looks like icons sitting on my desktop, just without filnames. That's not that strange, is it??

I love the dock and i've made many tweaks to improve it's performance. The only prob i have is that when I have a dark background (which is also very convenient) I can no longer tell which apps are running because I cannot see the little black arrows. I heard tinkertool can change arrow colors? Can i change it to any color at all? Red ones whould be cool.

Keep supporting OS X customization!
Most of these things we've done will eventually become standard in OS X, though i'm not sure about the no outline dock, I think "mom and pop" would find that confusing.....
Well, who cares, no outline works for me.

t basically just looks like icons sitting on my desktop, just without filnames.

Except they're not sitting on your desktop; they aren't sitting on anything, they're floating above everything on your screen. I guess you could think of them as stuck to the inside of the screen. :)

Anyway, if you like it, go ahead :)

I agree. They really aren't sitting on your desktop.

Well, I guess they could be if you choose to have your disks 'appear on desktop'--which, by the way, is oh soooo OS 9<.

Endian, I don't like to think of the icons as being stuck to the inside of my screen (that's kinda freaky), but rather, that my monitor is now an endless portal or window to the outside, with inifinite depth. And that what we call 'windows' in the OS now, are more or less the 'real' or 'physical' objects that pop-up in front of my view.

I think that this is the new paradigm, and I think the way that the Dock slides up from the bottom of your screen when you login and the way the menu bar appears in front, it is as if they are presenting themselves in front of you.

I think that the drop-shadows help to create this effect in that you can have an 'infinite' number of these thin panels pop-up in front of you, one on top of another (even menus and sheets), with the top-most moving closer to you (thus the larger drop shaow).

No longer do I 'look down' onto a desktop but rather out through the endless reaches of cyberspace.

pbrice: So your monitor is a hole into an infinitely large dimension? That's much more weird than icons stuck inside a screen lol;)

Go ahead and call it what you want; I'll stick with with "desktop".

When the Dock is on the side of the screen, are OS X apps still aware of it? I mean, if you Zoom a window will it stop at the Dock like it does when it's at the bottom? I guess it would, just curious.

Originally posted by iPenguin
if you want the dock transparent and without a border there is a full blow gui called "TransparentDock", you click three buttons or something similar and tada! icons floating on your screen!

The only TransparentDock I can find on versiontracker also seems to involve the dowloading of loads of scripting plug-ins... Is that not the case? You still have a URL?

Check out the other post in Dock Tricks called "Fully Transparent Dock" I'm fairly sure that the link there is to the app I'm talking about.

Originally posted by Jasoco
When the Dock is on the side of the screen, are OS X apps still aware of it? I mean, if you Zoom a window will it stop at the Dock like it does when it's at the bottom? I guess it would, just curious.

Some applications actually notice when the Dock has moved and adjust their zooming and resizing behavior. But a few applications still assume the Dock will always be at the bottom. Now that MacOS X 10.1 has three pinning options I think developers will catch on and fix things pretty soon.

Back