The Documents folder

mikea

Registered
I have two partitions on my drive: one for Mac OS 9 and the other for OS X (Public Beta). I wanted to "replace" the Docuements folder created by default in my OS X user folder with an existing one on my OS 9 volume.

At first I tried replacing the OS X Documents folder with an alias to my OS 9 Documents folder. The problem is that using the "Go" menu or a Finder window toolbar button to show my Documents folder did not work.

I used Terminal to create a symbolic link from my OS 9 Documents folder within my OS X user folder. (I had to use su to do this.) Unfortunately this still does not work.

So, my question is: does anyone know where the path behind the "Go" menu commands and Finder window buttons are held? If I can change these then I can get them to "point" to my OS 9 Documents folder.

(Does that make sense to anyone?)

Bump Bump...

I found this thread (as dead as it is) and I too am looking for a solution to this.

I don't like to keep music in my home directory, nor movies and would like to use the finder toolbar icons still. I would think this option would be popular. Wouldn't it be nice to have use of the music icon in the finder toolbar to point to your iTunes library? Am I the only one that thinks that makes sense? I have a drive that stores all my music and right now I have an alias in the home music directory. So for now I click on the music icon in the toolbar and then click on the alias. Ok that is like one extra step, but this is a Mac I shouldn't have to settle for that..:p

I don't like to keep music in my home directory, nor movies and would like to use the finder toolbar icons still. I would think this option would be popular. Wouldn't it be nice to have use of the music icon in the finder toolbar to point to your iTunes library?

You have the alias in place, so there's only two things you need to do:
- Put the Music-Folder icon on it.
- Put it in the toolbar.
This is really easy!

To put the music folder icon onto your alias, select the folder that already has the icon on it (~/Music) and bring up its info box by pressing Command-I. Then, pick the icon in the info box and Edit -> Copy it.
Then, open the info box for the alias folder. Click on the folder icon in the info box and Edit -> Paste the new icon in!

Now, to put it in your toolbar, just drag the folder to your toolbar.
:D Couldn't be simpler.

Mikea, as for how the Finder window buttons are edited, you can just drag a folder onto the finder window toolbar and it will turn into a shortcut button.

So, my question is: does anyone know where the path behind the "Go" menu commands and Finder window buttons are held? If I can change these then I can get them to "point" to my OS 9 Documents folder.

Mikea, the other partition will appear in a path called /Volumes. Open this by entering /Volumes in the Go window. The partition will have the volume name. So, to "Go" to your documents folder, you could enter:

/Volumes/MyHardDrive/YourDocumentsFolder

- Remove the documents folder you're not using from your home directory.
- Make an alias of the one you are using, and
- Put it into your home directory.

You will then be able to access it by "Go"ing to:
~/Documents

Or if you really like the default OS X toolbar Music icon (just the music note without the folder icon) for some reason, you can also do this:
- Rename the Music folder that's in your home folder to...uh... "Muzic".
- Drag the alias that you currently have in this folder (the alias to your real music folder) directly into your home folder, and make sure it is named "Music".
- Copy the icon from "Muzic" to "Music". (optional)
- Delete "Muzic".
- Relaunch Finder, or log out & log back in.

Then when you click the default toolbar Music icon it should go directly to your real Music folder (won't even try to show it through the alias).

Uh. Yeah. I have never used the "music" folder for music, but instead made a symbolic link to a folder called Music on a different volume.. works fine :D

Back