The faster browser is…

toast

Gone !
What's the fastest browser around ?

<u>Opera</u> has a good reputation, though very few posts mention it around here.
<u>Chimera</u> is fast too, but I get a lot of crashes with it, which I count as counter-speed 'cause I need to restart the browser.
How's <u>iCab</u> ?
I know <u>Netscape</u> is slow over version 4.
Is <u>Explorer</u> slow ? I don't find it slow, and I've been using it for long, next to Chimera.
Any other browsers ? What about <u>OmniWeb</u> ?

Not meaning to get a browser war here, not wanting a 'download the all and test it yourself' reply, I just want a very short answer. Because I don't care about the Toolbars and all Internet stuff, all I'm looking for is <u>speed</u>.

Thanx for - did I mention short ? ;) - answers !

i have tried them all and on my mac, icab is by far the fastest although omniweb has been getting closer. at least part of getting good speed out of any of them is getting your prefs tweaked right. most are not made to fly 'out of the box'.

i also think that part of it is personal perception - for instance part of why i say icab is faster is because it does a much better job of making the page readable almost immediately but then takes several more seconds to get everything formatted and rendered properly. other browsers give me more blank screen time but the page is pretty complete once it shows up. the total process could be about the same, but since i can start reading the page quicker with icab, it is 'faster' for my use.

Nope, Links is where the speed is. Text only browsers don't have to do all that formatting and rendering and downloading images and stuff. Pure speed... :)

Note that I am not saying "Pure Best all around browser". :D

Personally everyone has a different opinion on what is faster, I know you don't want to download them all and try them, but it's the best solution to your problem. See which ones you like speed wise and which features you need and make your decision that way. Browsers seem to run differently for different people even on the same system so go try them all out and see what works for you.. As for Links I doubt everyone wants a text only browser :p

Originally posted by hew
As for Lynx I doubt everyone wants a text only browser :p
Like I said, it's not the most user friendly browser, but I'd love for someone to show me a faster one. :)

Originally posted by nkuvu

Like I said, it's not the most user friendly browser, but I'd love for someone to show me a faster one. :)
I agree it is the fastest, but I prefer to have pictures.. etc :D

BAH... you elitists with your PICTURES and your RASTER DISPLAYS.

What I want is eighty columns by twenty-five rows of pure ASCII passion!

If it can't be rendered with ANSI codes, it isn't worth the bandwidth...

:)

Originally posted by .dev.lqd

:D

I gotta go with iCab on this one. Pretty much a duplicate post to Ed's so I won't repeate it.

Originally posted by toast
Not meaning to get a browser war here, not wanting a 'download the all and test it yourself' reply, I just want a very short answer. Because I don't care about the Toolbars and all Internet stuff, all I'm looking for is <u>speed</u>.

Huh? You *can't* ask the crowd about which browser is fastest just so and expect *no* browser war, I think.

Short answer: Mozilla 1.0 is out. It's acceptably fast, has AntiAliasing with Silk in 10.1.5, is final (well, it is!) and speeds up browsing through the tabs feature.

c'mon fryke - saying mozilla is "final" is like saying you will look exactly the same in 2 weeks. no scratches, no blemishes, etc. . You know the new betas will probably be out in less than 2 weeks ;)

we all know that mozilla will always be the beta of netscape, regardless of how they version number it. besides, i've used beta versions of OW that were better than the ones they call final. at least for my purposes.

Originally posted by .dev.lqd

Yeah! Let's all band together and bring back BBSs! :D

Um... ok why you all looking at me like that with blank stares? Oh common I'm not THAT old! Am I? LOL ;)

:p

you must be that old because i was using bbs's and i'm that old:p

i remember the jump from my 600k modem to a 14000. Wow!! It rocked!!:D

:rolleyes:

LOL

Well my first computer (Tandy 1000 EX) didn't have a modem (nor a hard drive for that matter), I remember buying a modem but there was no way to hook it up to my computer...

My 2nd computer (Packaged Hell - err Packard Bell PC*) had a 2400 modem... then got a 14.4 and I was exstatic that I had a "blasing fast modem" I remember watching a picture load one line at a time! And that was amazing! lol :D

Ok, suddenly I feel _VERY_ old! haha ;)

But I was 11 when I got my first computer, around 18ish for the 2nd.

* I _HATED_ Apple back then - I just thought the Apple // (uh, the all in one?) was butt-ugly and just hated it, before I even touched a PC... then I was abused by BOTH Packard Bell and MS on the PC side, bad memories, don't want to relive them! LOL ;)

Back