The Good and Bad

kendall

Registered
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2002/tc20021022_8966.htm

Its good to see that Apple Stores seem to be succeeding.

Its unfortunate though that Apple is losing its education market to Dell.

All of Apple's recent acquisitions is what has put them in the red but with $4.3 billion in the bank, they have money to burn while making these investments profitable.

Remember though, even though $4.3 billion seems like a lot, major corporations have lost more than that in a day.

What's most concerning though is that shipments fell 14% from the same quarter last year, despite the release of the iPod and LCD iMac. With this information, I don't see how the author comes to the conclusion that the "switch" ad campaign is working.

Remember though, even though $4.3 billion seems like a lot, major corporations have lost more than that in a day.

Aren't you confusing cash with market capitalization? Former is important to keep and hard to lose, the latter is less important, and rather unstabile.

Apple (currently) has about $4B (or so) in CASH. They have an approximate market capitalization of $6B (or so).

Shoot, they could take themselves private if they wanted to.

I doubt they would. But stuff like that has happened before. Levi Strauss did it several years ago and the company flourished very well (so I understand) without the burden of short-term thinking of Wallstreet.

Bad, bad thread title. But back on topic: I think Apple will just HAVE to have a killer new a) application or b) hardware to make users really switch. iPod has been a reason, but it's no longer one, because you can get iPod for Windows. So what's next that's going to be Mac-Only?

Where I work (Telecom, but we're surviving) the aspect of Mac that has grabbed people's attention is:

<center><b><font size=+3 color=red>UNIX</font></b></center>

Virtually all of our customers have banned use of Windows in any mission-critical applications. I can try out things on my Mac that I would otherwise have to go down to the (seriously overbooked) test area to do on a Solaris system.

Believe me, among people working on high-reliability equipment and software, Apple is gaining credibility by the day.

Another example: The coolest computer at IETF meetings: the TIbook. UNIX and normal office applications on one portable box using one OS.

I'd have to definitely agree, my cousin works for Bell. Last time I visited him he is suddenly talking about his Dual 1.25Ghz mac (with a Sun 24" LCD :mad: - must change jobs...). He is toting a G4 powerbook and talks about the XServe systems at work....

When did his job turn into Mac heaven?!?!?

Originally posted by RBeeman
Where I work (Telecom, but we're surviving) the aspect of Mac that has grabbed people's attention is:

<center><b><font size=+3 color=red>UNIX</font></b></center>

Virtually all of our customers have banned use of Windows in any mission-critical applications. I can try out things on my Mac that I would otherwise have to go down to the (seriously overbooked) test area to do on a Solaris system.

Believe me, among people working on high-reliability equipment and software, Apple is gaining credibility by the day.

Another example: The coolest computer at IETF meetings: the TIbook. UNIX and normal office applications on one portable box using one OS.

Totally agree with that. Compaq has a programmer for their firmware whom I met, and he told me (in a little voice) during a seminar that he has dumped Sun and other Unix boxes and in place of them, no prize for guessing... a Dual 1.25G machine.

And the most laughable part... he was still trying to figure out (and asking me) why the machine works so well and SO DARN CHEAP! OMG! I almost died when he mentioned "CHEAP!"

Sun Starfire users... bleah...

Wow... so telecom is where I should focus my efforts for next year. I was working in the advertising industry as an IT person and it's just died out. Now I am doing PC temp work.

As for Apple's $45 million loss... it sure takes me back when the losses were $300 to $500 million a quarter. Back when Apple had $8 billion in its coffers.

Oh those were the days weren't they?

Seems the world economy is going south. From Europe to America to over here in Asia... everywhere is going south. Damn those terrorists.

Back