The iChatAV Startlers' Community

Originally posted by Lycander
AOL's isn't proprietary at all, otherwise we wouldn't have AIM chat clients in Linux :)

Maybe. I thought they just reverse engineered the protocol, like some developers have done with MSN to make 3rd party clients.

I don't recall if the 3rd party clients supported contact lists stored on AOL servers, so you might be right that the developers just reverse engineered the protocol.

ICQ inc. releases the specs to older ICQ protocols, but they're kinda hard to find.

iChat AV brings video conf to the masses!!.................Providing they have a Mac faster than 600Mhz. Anyone with an older/slower mac....Tough!!!

Hmm just curious though..like Ichat you can have alot of buddy IMS on one screen ... can you have that with Video ..or Audio that would be sooo crazzyyyyy... like you have all these windows open of peoples head at one time....you can only hear them when you click on it??? who knows.. like they said this is only BETA...WOHOOOOOOOOOO

Originally posted by Captain Code
Maybe. I thought they just reverse engineered the protocol, like some developers have done with MSN to make 3rd party clients.

Actually, AOL uses two different protocols for their instant messaging service. One is OSCAR (which AIM is based on) and the other is TOC (which is used by third party developers)

The main difference between the two are the functionality of each. Users running AIM will have functions which Trillians (a third party app) users will not.

Lycander - I agree with your post. As a PC user for most of my life, I wasn't THAT impressed with iChatAV. I love the camera from Apple (iSight) - very nice. Very sleek. But chatting via Video and Audio isn't something new for me.

The ease and simplicity looked nice - I have ran into problems connecting with users in the past. (I've audio chatted with users for the past 3 or 4 years with apps like AIM and other apps.. - never a problem. Video though.....)

I'm determine to purchase a G5 when I get the chance, so, maybe I'll change my mind when I actually shell out the extra bucks for the iSight and call a Mac user up ^_^

Back