The Jaguar Bugs Thread

Att: GrBear
The reason that I have a swap partition is because I built the system that way, but since it is mounted under "/private/var/vm" it should NOT be visible in finder.

Darn it, just a couple of weeks ago I installed Logitech's great (and FREE) new OSX drivers for their multi-button mice....

And now under Jaguar, the drivers don't even SEE the mouse. :(

Originally posted by alephx01
(1) I seem to have formed some sort of sore on my tongue since installing Jaguar. Not sure if it's related to the radiation that the screen puts out.

Under system preferences, change "Screen Radiation" from Spot Concentration to Wide Dispersal.

(2) My cat has stopped eating its cat food. I think I might have to buy another brand.

Jaguar now requires at least Little Friskies or one of the "gourmet" cat foods

(3) Since installing Jaguar, the weather in Seattle has gotten colder. Not quite sure what might have caused this. I think it might be related to the new energy saver options.

You should check the "El Nino" option

(4) I seem to procrastinate writing my white paper more. I found the source of the problem and it's related to the new features installed with Jaguar. Apparently, it seems that I have less time to write because I tend to play around with the new features. I'm not quite sure how to fix this yet but it may involve Ritalin.

No need for Ritalin. Just check the "Motivation" box under the Keyboard. It will deliver a massive dose of electricity via the keyboard if it detects mouse clicks outside your word processor. This aint no wussy OS.

(5) Chocolate just doesn't seem to have the same bang that it use to. I may have to switch to fruit flavors like strawberry, or perhaps banana.

If you have Extreme Quartz you can now drink latte or even expresso to get that same buzz.

I'll keep everyone informed of any new problems that I come across. I hope everyone has a nice week.

BTW, LOL. Great reply.

Alephx01, in answer to your questions:

1. 10.2.1 will rectify this with a Universal Access bug fix
2. Get the new version of TinkerTools, it unlocks hidden food flavours previously in the beta builds.
3. Your Network Time has been reset, change your Time Zone location in the Date & Time prefs.
4. Write your Whitepaper about 10.2, problem solved.
5. Damn, another fruit versus chocolate debate again, won't you PC users ever give up.

:p

-- When I mount a remote volume, the /Volumes folder opens in a new Finder window at the same time the icon appears on my desktop.

here too. that's really annoying.

Also, iChat downloads things to the right place, SORT OF: My second partition is called "Blue Meanie Data." When iChat downloads a file transfer, it goes into /Volumes/Blue%20Meanie%20Data/Downlaods as opposed to /Volumes/Blue\ Meanie\ Data

see what I mean? its creating a volume with the damn character codes for spaces instead of using the actual HD. Gar!!!!

Plus, Apple-A doesn't work. I can't select all via the keyboard. I have a B&W G3 w/ an ADB keyboard. All the other keyboard shortcuts work (so far) but Apple-A, one of the MOST USED KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS, is entirely broken.

Grrrrr. 10.2.1, you better be here soon!

Originally posted by beverson
Two items:

-- Every time my Rev. B iMac restarts, the monitor geometry switches to default settings.

My girlfriend has been having this problem. It happened before when she first got OS X, but the problem was fixed with 10.1. And now it's back!

Any suggestions?

Originally posted by groverhoo

My girlfriend has been having this problem. It happened before when she first got OS X, but the problem was fixed with 10.1. And now it's back!

Any suggestions?

that's the BEST avatar i have ever seen. Is that from an icon set? Grover was my 2nd favourite. You can't beat Cookie Monster!

Just upgraded my Powerbook G3 (Pismo - Firewire) from 10.1.5 to Jag. During the installation, before it was finished, my screen darkened like it was going into low power mode, and a message in the center of the screen said "You Must restart you computer, press the power button for several seconds are press the restart button." It was in around 7 different languages.

I reinstalled by doing a clean install and moving my old system folder. It went through fine.

Then I started installing the items on the second disc. It went through fine the first time and I pressed the "restart" button.
When it restarted it came up asking me for disc 2, and wanted to do exactly what I had just done. Only this time, it gave me the restart screen again.

I quit the installer and went onto playing with the upgrade. When I seleced to restart the computer, it gave me the "restart your computer" screen again and locked my mouse like usual.

Any ideas?

I am trying a clean install now by formating the drive and see if the install goes more smooth.

Anyone else seen this screen or have the same prob? I have never seen this problem til I started upgrading to Jag.

Lance
-------------------
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are great......

Your computer crashed during installation, and that certain type of crash is called a kernel panic. If you're doing a clean install it should be fine.

iChat quits 'unexpectedly' all the time. at least once an hour, sometimes more. and where are my menus? does iChat just ignore them because it's pretty? that's pretty annoying =P.
also, ftp mounting is weird. it just thinks for awhile, but when i relaunch finder, the ftp is mounted.
i wish they'd allow upload access with it... it would be great to use for web mastering.

One thing I have noticed when I upgraded to 10.2 from 10.1.5 is applications now take forever to open... Once they are open the system seems to haul. Another problem that seems to appear now is classic doesn't startup, gets about 97% of the way and just stops. I know two things are not working in my favor 1) I upgraded, not really a good thing for preformance, 2) My memory still hasn't arrived for my iMac so I am still only working with 256MB's. Hopefully when I have the time to do a complete re-install it will help.

The other thing I have noticed is Word is acting rather strange since the update, yet it isn't anything consistant...

Note to Apple: Finally, thank you for letting mac users browse Windows networks. As annoying as windows can be at least Apple finally realized WinTel is a platform Macs do often need to 'talk' to.

Don.
G4 iMac 15" 700Mhz 256MB ram

OK, G4 500mhZ, 512 ram

I upgraded to 10.2 because I was too impatient to wait a couple of weeks when I will have time for a clean install. The first time I tried upgrading it said "there was a problem with the installation, restart and try again" or something like that. I did and basically nothing worked: IE would not connect to my ISP, the System Prefs panel crashed the comp.- obviously now, after 2 MORE reinstalls (total of 3 now), I am able to connect to my ISP.

One MAJOR problem still: it will not mount my external Firewire drive. It says it failed authentication or something. This is a huge problem- I cant do a clean install until I can move stuff onto that external drive. The upgrade has also rendered PHP inactive.

ANY help with the HD issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Digi

PS- The drive does show up in System Profiler

I too upgraded onto my PowerBook Pismo and have had no problems whatsoever with the OS as such. Startup times are around 25 seconds faster - um, let me replhrase that. The Desktop comes up 25 seconds faster but there is an aweful lot of hard drive activity for around 45 seconds so I just leave it do it's thang and then go about my normal business as usual.

SUITCASE 10.1.3
Suitcase seems to be the main offender as far as startup times go, that is after the Desktop appears. I'm sure I've got the same font sets activated. I've used FontDoctor to check for font corruption but it didn't report any. Any ideas why Suitcase would be taking so long to startup? I have around 400 essential fonts activated (although I'm sure I can cut that down if this is the problem). :confused:

OFFICE vX PROBLEM
I have noticed a problem with Office vX though (Service Release 1 installed). It began 2 days before I upgraded but persists even now that I have upgraded to Jag.

For some reason, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage all takes ages to quit properly. At first I thought they had crashed because when I clicked on their dock icons (they still had the triangle underneath them) it said soemthing like "Not responding", but approximately 30 seconds after quitting the little traingle would finally disappear. :confused:

Every now and then they do shut down properly, and when I notice it and restart them and then quit again the problem pops up again. If one is playing up then the rest of the names apps do the same too. It does not affect MSN Messenger or Internet Explorer 5.2.1. :confused:

So I uninstalled Office vX and reinstalled it again, set up all my preferences etc, and the problem still occurred. Any ideas......?

Also, can anyone tell me what the "Microsoft Database Daemon" is? It's in the "Login" preference pane. Should it be activated or deactivated? What does it do?

These are only annoyances - not mission critical, but your suggestions to cure the problems would be great.

Other than that - JAG rocks, even on my meager Pismo. ** Zeal :)

----------

Apple PowerBook G3 2000 (Firewire/Pismo) 400mHz : 384 Ram : 30GB IBM Travelstar (with the fluid dynamic bearing - whisper quiet)

If you don't give a bundle an icon, it should show as the generic App icon. Also, now when you build a bundle in the new Project Builder (with August update), the bundle *is* a folder and you only need double click on it to see inside.

concerning OpenGL, I have big Z-Buffer problems with it.

Maya works fine, but Blender and Cinema4D can't handle culled faces correctly.

In both apps, culled faces that have at least one vertex in common with a non-culled face, are drawn! You can imagine how that looks!

If I switch off OpenGL in C4D, everything is fine (but slow).

Well, I have preordered Release 8, hopefully that will fix things.

Anyway, with this bug, working on C4D or Blender in anything but Wireframe is hell. Even when I disable backface culling, where it should render ANY polygon correctly, it still draws these backfaces. When I run Blender in game mode, where it does polygon rasterisation rather than raytracing, it produces the same error.

I tried to copy this behaviours by writing a small OpenGL app in Cocoa, but wasn't able to reproduce it. I both tries using hardware and software Z-Buffering, hardware and software culling.

I have three video cards in my Mac, a GeForce4TI as main display and two Radeon 7000 powering my Cintiq 18SX and my 19'' CRT secondary Display, in all three cards, I have the same problem Z-Buffer problems, though the GeForce4TI seems to flicker the most with them, but that could be based on the pure fact that it simply draws at a higher frame rate.

Back