The latest build of Chimera is nearly prefect.

ddma

The Most Stupid Member
I think the latest build of Chimera is nearly prefect...

Bookmarks now can display site icons.
Scrolling is smoother.
Loading is faster.
Page rendering is faster.
Flash drawing bug has been fixed.
The latest Flash player plug-in is smoother.
Just... All things go better :)

Do you mean .60? I never download the nightly builds because they changes so much from day to day. Sometimes they can be incredibly unstable.

Yeah this is really speedy! I actually can't tell much of a difference between the nightly builds so I don't even bother on unless someone says otherwise (like today).

Anyways, I love my Mac. :)

It still sucks in the UI, though. I see that it's a work in progress... But its rendering speed with tables doesn't make it 'near perfect' for me. I'd love to switch to Chimera for its speed, but it's just lacking too much in other areas that are more important to me.

Yes, I still need to use IE for a few things, like previewing pages... but this nightly build is great. Super fast and stable.

yeah, it puts the Windows convention modal scrolly wheel onto my mac, and the text boxes are totally nonstandard. Omniweb is still my sweetest baby. But, yeah, for speed, chimera kicks all booty.

And a note on conventions, I haven't tested mozilla on a PC, but I'm playing with translucency support in layers, and all my mac browsers are fine with it, including the green horn Chimera. Proper translucency support. IE6 on Windows blows it totally. And just totally blows, but that's more of an opinion. Or so I'm told.

This newest Chimera build is nice, but it still doesn't support the WMP plugin. I use it to watch the video at news.com mostly.

How is it non-standard? The UI is possibly the easiest and simplest compared to what's out there. A side bar that utilizes the Cocoa Drawer? The preference panes? The Ability to customize your tool bar?

I think the only thing missing is the ability to choose how far back you go in the back button. Other than that it's the best thing out there.:) :D ;)

Are you high? There's nothing wrong with the UI in Chimera. It's as standard as standard can be. It follows the Aqua guidelines, and really, it's still only 60% done.

Chimera in my usage, has proven to be infinitely more stable than IE, not to mention faster.

The only thing IE has going for it right now is subscriptions. I'm not even sure if this is planned for Chimera, since it's meant to be a bare bones browser.

IE's days are numbered. Microsoft could care less about improving it, and Apple is developing a Chimera variant in house. Hopefully, we'll see something pop up at MWSF...

Say hello to "iBrowse"...

No browser (other than IE) will be able to support the WMP plugin, because Microsoft deliberately fixed it so only IE can use it.

I really wish Apple would put the hurt on MS, and update Quicktime to be able to read MS/Real formats. If they are serious about increasing QuickTime's market share, they need to do this. Real can read QT, so it shouldn't be any marvel of technology for QT to read MS & Real formats...

Support for Real format could be possible because Real has open source their Real formats. But to support Windows Media... it would be not really to happen because ASF/WMV are Microsoft private formats.

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
Are you high? There's nothing wrong with the UI in Chimera. It's as standard as standard can be. It follows the Aqua guidelines, and really, it's still only 60% done.

Chimera in my usage, has proven to be infinitely more stable than IE, not to mention faster.

Say hello to "iBrowse"...

I guess you didn't point at me with what you've said. I would never say IE's UI is better than Chimera's. I'm an OmniWeb user.

OmniWeb has spoiled me with intuitive and innovative features that let me work faster on the web. The only point where Chimera is strong is its speed, and - compared to OmniWeb - standards support.

But the UI of Chimera _is_ lacking. While the outer boundaries of Chimera adhere to the Cocoa guidelines, this stops at the inner workings of Chimera. For example, the handling of text isn't very good. If you double click on a part of an URL, for example, OmniWeb behaves as a real Cocoa app should: It selects the part between the slashes. Try it on this/pretty/example by double-clicking on the word pretty.

I guess it's a matter of opinion. I use the web mainly for reading and writing, thus I'm not loading a new page every few seconds. Guess that's why I can bear the slower page rendering of OW - which in my opinion isn't that bad either.

Furthermore, OW's great shortcut feature saves me much more time, really. I'm no fan of bookmarks, as I would have a pretty long list of them that I don't want to browse just to find the exact URL of, say, InfoSync. I would probably mistype it, because I tend to forget that it's www.infosync.no and not www.infosync.com, but I do remember 'iw', which is all I have to type into the location field.

Even better shortcuts: I can type 'google word' to find Google's search results for 'word'. Similarly, I can enter 'vt software' to find software on Versiontracker's Mac OS X database. Same for 'movie title' to find information on a movie named 'title' on the Internet Movie Database (imdb.com).

Those are the real timesavers. A bit of wait while the browser renders a page is merely a minor inconvenience to me. I don't lose my chain of thought through that process. I might, though, if I have to either remember an URL or search my bookmarks for one. Or if I keep selecting the wrong parts of an important text, just because the text features of my browser wouldn't behave according to the interface guidelines.

I appreciate, though, that Chimera has shown all players in this market that it IS possible to create a fast webbrowser on Mac OS X. If any Mac enemy tells me browsing is slow on the Mac, I - of course! - tell them to try a build of Chimera.

As for me, I am a typical web browsee (English question: should we call ourselves "broswees"?) and web designer and programmer, support for industrial standards is the first thing. Internet Explorer and Chimera both do a great thing but while Chimera is prettier and faster, I use Chimera is the best browser for me.

As a result, I think which browser you have choosen is the one which most satisfy your needs.

ddma - how do you put ie and standards in the same sentence? these two are mutually exclusive. :confused:

Haha... okei, maybe I should say "IE for Mac" could render most of the pages that "IE for Windows" could render while Chimera/Mozilla does for 99.9%.

that is an entirely different concept than following standards. that just means it can read m$ code standards, which is what we want to do away with.

I saw the browser review and was disappointed because they used Chimera .5 and also (given the reports of crashing) they did not appear to have used the flash plugin that fixed the crashing bug.

Chimera .6 and the new flash plug make a *huge* difference. more importantly, if you have a site password stored in the keychain, then you return to the same site and put in different login info, chimera will ask whether you want the old info or the new info in the keychain (this showed up on the latest nightly build)

I've just read the review, too, and must say that it also lacks in looking at OW too closely. For example, they don't speak (!) about the fact that OW can take spoken commands. They only mention its ability to read pages aloud via Speech. Also, the ingenious shortcuts aren't mentioned either.

About Chimera's stability: It is still the most crash prone browser out there. But it's also in infinite beta, so people tend to forgive that yet (and it's mentioned in the review).

Still, the review seems to be thorough enough to give people who don't KNOW there are options a bit of insight, although at the end of the review, they state that IE has still a right to dominate the market on Mac OS X, which I think is a pity, as although I can't like Chimera (because of the lack of features, the bad UI and mostly because of both of its names - one of them trying to inherit Netscape's brand and the other describing a monster, which always keeps reminding me that this is a Gecko-Cocoa-Carbon monster with UI mixes that make my head fume...) I think it's still the better alternative than IE.

Never forget: OmniWeb 5.0 will clear everything up. Tabbed browsing, fast engine, full CSS 1, 2 & 3 support (!).

OmniGroup is _such_ a good company that not only it's the only software company I've personally given money for an application (my other software is paid for by the company I work for), but it's even a BROWSER that I could also use for FREE! I've never regretted those few bucks...

Back