The let's-boycott-stupid-PowerBook-renaming thread

OK, nobody seems to care too much. I for my part have found a way of dealing with the situation: I'll just call it

The computer formerly known as Powerbook

On the long run I guess I'll have to get used to whatever name Apple thinks of. After all I got used to the name "iMac" shortly after I got one back in '98.

fryke said:
Okay. You go boycott it, I won't. I don't particularly _like_ "MacBook" as a name, but that's what they're called.QUOTE]
Agreed. I think the name stinks, but no one is going to boycott anything.

I think the Mac Book pro name will save them the trouble of renaming it
again in the future. If they went with the (for eg.)Intel Book name, what happens if Apple starts using AMD, cell or even revert to PPC in the future?

I don't really mind the MacBook pro name, In my case, only those who own
a Mac will call it Powerbook, everyone else will just call it a Mac or a Mac laptop.

ergo proxy said:
If they went with the (for eg.)Intel Book name, what happens if Apple starts using AMD, cell or even revert to PPC in the future?
There is no way that Apple would have ever used the word "Intel" in the name of any one of their machines. Everyone else calls them "Intel Macs", but Apple does not, and will not. The same goes for the term "WinTel", which is an industry term, and not one used by Microsoft. It has nothing to do with the fact that they might use AMD chips in the future. It has everything to do with the fact that no company is willing to highlight another organization in a place as prominent as the name of their product.

I actually hate the terms "Intel Mac", "MacTel", and "MacIntel", and prefer "Intel-based Mac". Intel really has nothing at all to do with the machine. It's just the chip. I can't wait until they are all Intel-based, and the PowerPC machines have long faded, so we can just refer to them as Macs. :)

As far as AMD is concerned (and this is way off-topic, I know), I hope they do start putting their chips in the Macs after a while. A company like Intel should not have so much power.

dmetzcher said:
I actually hate the terms "Intel Mac", "MacTel", and "MacIntel", and prefer "Intel-based Mac". Intel really has nothing at all to do with the machine. It's just the chip. I can't wait until they are all Intel-based, and the PowerPC machines have long faded, so we can just refer to them as Macs. :)

Those were the names floating around after the Intel announcement. So I was kind of glad they decided not to include the Intel name.

dmetzcher said:
As far as AMD is concerned (and this is way off-topic, I know), I hope they do start putting their chips in the Macs after a while. A company like Intel should not have so much power.

Well, since were now on the x86 road map, that could be a possibility,
maybe in the high end PowerMac er I mean Mac Pro Systems.

ScottW said:
Why don't they just call it the PowerBook Duo?

Oh... that has already happened.
They want "Mac" in the names of all their computers, according to Jobs at the keynote.

i.e. - iMac, Mac mini, PowerMac
Now we'll have the MacBook Pro (to replace the PowerBook), and, I assume, the MacBook (to replace the iBook.) The names stink, frankly. I think "iBook" and "PowerBook" were perfect.

While we _assume_ that they'll rename the iBook to MacBook or "MacBook mini" or something similar, it's not a done deal just yet. Maybe both the iMac and the iBook will keep their names? Then again, I truly *hope* we'll have a final lineup of this:

Mac (was iMac)
Mac mini (was Mac mini)
Mac Pro (was PowerMac)
MacBook (was iBook)
MacBook nano (flash-memory based super sub-notebook)
MacBook Pro (was PowerBook)

;) (I know, I sneaked my wish for a subnotebook in there, can't help it...)

iMac is going to be called just Mac??:confused:

A: " I hear that you have a Mac at home, which model? "
B: " I have a Mac."
A: " I know, but which one?"
B: " A Mac, that all in one computer. They use to call it the iMac but now it simply called a 'Mac'."

Sub notebook? that's a good idea, I could definately use one.
8" screen w/ tablet functionality would be cool.

You're right. They can't really get rid of the "i" in "iMac" for that reason. ;) ... Although I've heard _plenty_ of people referring to their iMac as "the Mac" already (even being puzzled when I called it the "iMac"...) and others who referred to their iBooks as iMacs... Hm...

Back