The Mac is doooomed (tell me I'm crazy)

with regards to firefox, have you used Firefox 2.0? it feels a lot more cocoa in it's ways now. it's a proper OSX app now, it feels a lot less crossplatform. context menus look and behave like they should, sheets use OSX guidelines, webpages use aqua widgets, it's a much more mature application.

it's like a more powerful version of Safari without the silly brushed metal. which only looks silly when you've got used to not looking at it.

with regards to firefox, have you used Firefox 2.0? it feels a lot more cocoa in it's ways now. it's a proper OSX app now, it feels a lot less crossplatform. context menus look and behave like they should, sheets use OSX guidelines, webpages use aqua widgets, it's a much more mature application.
Yeah, I use FF2. I use it daily, in fact. (I'm a two-browser man, except for some days when I'm a three-browser man.) I could go on and on about how un-Mac-like it still is, but that would be going too far off topic. And I'm sure I've ranted about it in any number of other threads! :p

I'd say that the fact that FF2 feels "a lot less crossplatform" than FF1 is proof of my point: it's not easy to make good cross-platform apps. It's taken them a long time to get to where they are now in terms of Mac-ishness. It's a shame it takes so much effort.

Johnny Blaze said:
While a great campaign, many people simply will not spend over a $1000 on a macintosh computer when they never had the chance to try it out, regardless of even the most influential marketing campaign.
Some of us wouldn't spend $1000 on a Mac even being life long Mac users.

My fastest system is a Sawtooth G4 with a G4 running at 1.2 GHz (256k of L2, 2 MB of L3), nVidia GeForce2 MX video card (32 MB of VRAM), 640 MB of memory (should be up to 1 GB in a few weeks), with 60 GB and 30 GB drives on the logic board's UltraATA/66 bus and a 400 GB drive on a Serial ATA card. My total investment in this system (since I got it last month) is $245.

My second fastest system is a Beige G3 Mini Tower with a G4 running at 533 MHz (1 MB of L2), ATI Radeon 7000 video card (32 MB of VRAM), 640 MB of memory, 80 GB drive on an UltraATA/66 card, a CD-ROM drive (first ATA/33 bus on logic board), DVD-ROM drive (second ATA/33 bus) and a 2 port USB card. That system was free (I put none of my own money into building that system).

The third fastest system I own is my PowerBook G3 Wallstreet (which I've been using since 2001). It has a G4 at 500 MHz (1 MB of L2), 512 MB of memory, 40 GB and 20 GB hard drives, CDRW drive and a USB 2.0 card. My total investment in that system over about 6 years has been about $650.

My main mobile system is a PowerBook G4 Lombard. It is using it's original G3 at 400 MHz (1 MB of L2), has 512 MB of memory, an 11 GB hard drive, wireless card and battery life of about 1.5 hours. I bought that system last summer for $100.

That is four Macs acquired over six years to reach a total hardware investment of $995. And that is only four of my 24 Macs (the total investment of the other 20 would most likely not exceed $1800 since 1997).

And this is how Apple will take down Rockefeller Microsoft.
And this is where bad ideas come from.

Why does Apple need to take down Microsoft? Why do we need to see Apple pitted against Microsoft?

Thankfully Apple doesn't make it's business choices based on trying to play out some form of Reality TV or Shock TV concept.

I'm sure people would love to see you step into a cage with an 800 pound gorilla and take it down. But if you are smart (and plan on having a long life) I'd think you would want to steer clear of a confrontation like that.

I'd just like to put my two cents in,

I agree with this last comment, I'm a PC technician, have been for many years, and always hated fixing all windows problems and having things crap out for no reason at all. So, I switched jobs, and now I am an avid mac user on my new MacBook Pro.

CrossOver and Parallel's are making the possibility become reality! It's just a matter of time before Apple Develops their own release of these apps or something similar to fully run pc apps at native speeds without even using "bottles" in crossover, or a VM.

I couldn't be happier with the success of Apple since its full transition to intel. Everyone is realizing that Apple really does put microsoft to shame..

Reasons:

1) Microsoft copies all features of OSX in Vista, why? because they cant think of something better., microsoft has always been a bully and buys everyone out or copies them., just selling half assed products, and letting customers fix their issues, its a waste of time, whether they lose business or not they keep writing crap software...

2) microsoft tries to compete with the ipod by releasing a zune. what the hell is a zune?????

3) the further integration of a mobile device with an Apple Computer product, just pushes the envelope for all corporate users. ex: I have a MacBook Pro, and a BlackBerry Pearl 8100. Do they work together? LOL.

- Apple's iPhone + Mac (running Parallel's/CrossOver) = THE perfect solution for any corporate user, and its more secure.

SO... its just natural that the company has many more avenues to follow.. Steve Jobs himself said they have big plans for the future, and it doesn't stop there..

I'm just curious which cat name will come after Leopard? or will they switch to Bears? Apple Mac OS X 10.9 (Grizzly)

I couldn't be happier with the success of Apple since its full transition to intel. Everyone is realizing that Apple really does put microsoft to shame..

Reasons:

1) Microsoft copies all features of OSX in Vista, why? because they cant think of something better., microsoft has always been a bully and buys everyone out or copies them., just selling half assed products, and letting customers fix their issues, its a waste of time, whether they lose business or not they keep writing crap software...

2) microsoft tries to compete with the ipod by releasing a zune. what the hell is a zune?????

3) the further integration of a mobile device with an Apple Computer product, just pushes the envelope for all corporate users. ex: I have a MacBook Pro, and a BlackBerry Pearl 8100. Do they work together? LOL.

- Apple's iPhone + Mac (running Parallel's/CrossOver) = THE perfect solution for any corporate user, and its more secure.

SO... its just natural that the company has many more avenues to follow.. Steve Jobs himself said they have big plans for the future, and it doesn't stop there..

I'm just curious which cat name will come after Leopard? or will they switch to Bears? Apple Mac OS X 10.9 (Grizzly)

All very true statements. I agree that Apple has a million avenues for it's computer market to flow into, especially since they are gaining popularity, and like you said, being recognized as that which puts MS to shame.

As for the naming system, I believe that Apple should follow Microsoft's path of little-known nouns. Here comes Mac OS ineXorability!

Back