The Mount-problem Solution!!!!!!!

ulrik

Registered
OK, this worked for me on three machines with 10.0.1 and 10.0.2
where the known mount-problem (CDs. imgs. etc.) occured.

Fire up the Terminal and change to root with "su" (how to
get root password is explained somewhere here in the forum, I won't post it again).

in the folder /etc in the root of the disk, edit hostconfig with the
command

pico hostconfig

at the bottom of the file, attach EXACT this line:

AUTODISKMOUNT=-REMOVABLE-

reboot.

Worked for me on all machines ;)
Hopefully it works for you all too

ulrik

Ups, of course close pico with ctrl-x in an empty line and save the file ;) then reboot

ulrik

my /etc/hostconfig file allready has that in it (os x 10.0.2). Its not at the bottom of the file, though. Check out the lower half of the file:

# Services
AFPSERVER=-NO-
APPLETALK=en1
AUTHSERVER=-NO-
AUTOCONFIG=-YES-
AUTODISKMOUNT=-REMOVABLE-
AUTOMOUNT=-YES-
CONFIGSERVER=-NO-
IPFORWARDING=-NO-
MAILSERVER=-NO-
MANAGEMENTSERVER=-NO-
NETBOOTSERVER=-NO-
NISDOMAIN=-NO-
TIMESYNC=-NO-
QTSSERVER=-NO-
SSHSERVER=-YES-
WEBSERVER=-YES-
APPLETALK_HOSTNAME=mach

I don't even know what the mount bug is, but is the location of "autodiskmount" what makes it work? Just wondering.

No, it's the fact that one some computers, this line somehow disappears from the hostconfig, rendering the machine unable to mount removable media like CDs, IMGs etc. The position within the file doesn't matter

I have the problem you describe, but they way you explain the solution is confusing, I am root, so far so fine,
but then: should I work in the terminal or where is this /etc folder in the bottom of the disk? please can you explain to me?

many thanks,

johan

work in the terminalwindow won«t explain the solution to me cause I am newbie. in the terminal it says root#
I write /etc and get the message I don«t have the privilige,
I am logged in as root..if I solve that one, what then?

that«s the way it is, I need help on the terminal proceedures.

jojo

You might be accidentally writing where you don't need to be.

Try invoking pico like this:
Code:
root# <b>pico /etc/hostconfig</b>
That way you don't have to worry about which directory you're in, as long you have root access.

-Rob

many thanks, I finally got to the hostconfig. The line autodiskmount=-removable- is there, but my problem still exists. when inserting the startup Cd or trying to mount the installer disc (with the new omniwebbrowser) i get the message: you have inserted a disc that Mac OSX cant read.... It must be a software problem but what can it be?

Back